Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
No Subaru (YET)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed a 3000+ mile trip over 9 days. My observations:
Adaptive Cruise - learning to like this. We found ourselves slowing down almost imperceptibly until I figured out to set the small display to show speed and then change lanes if possible to keep moving. Coming up on slow moving 18 wheelers, the software waits a bit long before slowing then hits the brakes a bit abruptly. Maybe adding distance bars would help here.
Lane keeper - Sometimes a bit eerie, and it definitely doesn't like narrow construction lanes.
Have all the latest HK HU updates, but never could get the CarPlay icon to come available.
Related to above, preferred Google Maps to the Navigation since it doesn't seem to know where to go. Took us off the interstate once to find a rest area, and there was one just up the road a mile! Direction wording is a bit confusing. "Left and stay right". I've had better wording on multiple brands during rentals.
2.5 motor a bit buzzy at times, and emergency acceleration could use a bit more oomph, but the gas mileage was right around 30 overall with the AC on the entire time.
Pretty comfortable long distance ride, with lots of room, even when we hauled 2 adults in the back.

All-in-all, I'd do it again, but momma wants to fly next time, LOL.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
138 Posts
I set my Adaptive Cruise to max bars and it avoids the abrupt braking. Just move to the passing lane sooner.

Flying, no thanks. Especially during COVID. I'm not excited about being in a aluminum can with recirculated air and with a bunch of Petri Dishes.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,698 Posts
This thread had so much phail in it.

3k in 9 days but you didn't say where you went or what you saw.

My slogan for Subaru, which by the way I'm still waiting for them to buy it from me for the pricely sum of a new car, is - "Where there's adventure you'll find a Subaru".*

Let us know about your trip!

* Price is negotiable

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
444 Posts
I’ve spent the past 25 years traveling for business to Asia and Europe. Spending 18 hours on a plane from NY to Inchon Korea just sucks. My job changed to being domestic only for the past five years and specifically traveling along the East coast only. I won’t take the metallic tube of death anymore, preferring to drive now instead. So I take my Subaru Outback on 2K or 3K mile road trips from my home in CT to LA, AL, GA, Carolinas, and up into eastern Canada. Up until COVID it was fairly frequently. I’ve set up my Outback for long road trips with survival gear, some spare parts and tools. I’ll even do some off road fun in places like the Blue Ridge, Smokies or places in northern Ontario. For me, the Subaru Outback is the perfect road trip car. With ACC, comfortable seats with LTD trim, you can’t beat it. I generally don’t use the NAV that comes with my Subaru but instead prefer Google Maps and GAIA GPS on my phone and tablet. I use Ram Mounts to hold them both. I love the freedom of road travel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
No Subaru (YET)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This thread had so much phail in it.

3k in 9 days but you didn't say where you went or what you saw.

My slogan for Subaru, which by the way I'm still waiting for them to buy it from me for the pricely sum of a new car, is - "Where there's adventure you'll find a Subaru".*

Let us know about your trip!

* Price is negotiable
PHAIL?
We live in North Texas, had a wedding to attend in North Central PA, but visited family in Pittsburgh. Usually, when we take this trip, we just drive to the final destination. This time we stopped in Nashville for a Chihuly Glass exhibit, then went to Fallingwater (Frank Lloyd Wright design) and Cook's Forest. On the way back, got to visit the National Corvette Museum for the 3rd or 4th time, then on to Hot Springs, AR before heading home. Nothing compares to the leaves in the Northeast. A lot more Subies up there than in our part of Texas. Makes sense for the winters.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,698 Posts
That's what I'm talking about!

That sounds like a nice trip, you got to see some great country, Fall colors and all that.

Usually, but not always, when a member takes a mighty road trip they post up stuff if the trip details.

Your trip truly shows that Subaru and Adventure go hand in hand.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
98 Posts
This time we stopped in Nashville for a Chihuly Glass exhibit
Next time you are in Nashville you must go to the Lane Motor Museum. Great museum with a great collection of cars (most never sold in the United States. Well worth the stop.

·
Registered
2015 OB 6-spd MANUAL!
27 Posts
SWKohnle08, we have a similar work history. I was caught un NYC during the 2018 snow/ice storm. Stuck on the highway for hours. I was the only one with winter tires (Canadian, eh).

I've had and have Wrangler, Land Cruisers, Tacoma, 4runners, GX470, and they were all awesome vehicles, but man do they suck on gas and very trucky on the highway. My outback is the best all road road trip vehicle for quite, smooth, comfortable highway miles and mild offroad. The suspension travel is hands down better that any SUV, CUV, and most cars.

I ditched the stock roof rails and my Outback now has a giant solar panel, second battery, propane stove, fridge, tools, and I still have the spare in the stock location. Oh, and I can sleep in the back! Next on the mod list are STI Brembo brakes.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
SWKohnle08, we have a similar work history. I was caught un NYC during the 2018 snow/ice storm. Stuck on the highway for hours. I was the only one with winter tires (Canadian, eh).

I've had and have Wrangler, Land Cruisers, Tacoma, 4runners, GX470, and they were all awesome vehicles, but man do they suck on gas and very trucky on the highway. My outback is the best all road road trip vehicle for quite, smooth, comfortable highway miles and mild offroad. The suspension travel is hands down better that any SUV, CUV, and most cars.

I ditched the stock roof rails and my Outback now has a giant solar panel, second battery, propane stove, fridge, tools, and I still have the spare in the stock location. Oh, and I can sleep in the back! Next on the mod list are STI Brembo brakes.
Miggs. I also had a Wrangler. It was a 2014 and I modified it for off road and found it was terrible for long road trips. Switched to a 2016 OB Ltd and never looked back. 85K miles and traded in for a new 2019 Ltd. I have a small camp stove, Vair 400 compressor and light camping gear set up also. Always keep extra bottled water, freeze dried food and power bars. Having been stranded twice on route 81 in VA, both times were due to the road being shutdown for an accident. In one case, three hours in hot sun. I was sharing bottled water with drivers around me who were unprepared. In another case, after a couple hours, the trucker next to me agreed to back his rig up slightly so I could sneak past him and go down the breakdown lane in the opposite direction to an on-ramp to get to a country road and found several people following me out the same way. Having Google Maps on my tablet allowed me to navigate backroads around the wreck and several cars followed me. Although it hasn’t happened to me, I have heard of cases where people are stranded in a snowstorm on the highway for over 24 hours and being unprepared for the cold and no food or water. I’m prepared for that, but prefer to watch weather forecasts closely and will stop at a hotel if things turn bad rather than risk getting stranded.

·
Registered
2015 OB 6-spd MANUAL!
27 Posts
My OB is my second home, I think I was a Gypsy in a previous life. I've got sleeping in a Walmart parking lot down to a science.

Stuck in a snow storm sucks, but being stuck in a ditch is way worse. I have 2 down sleeping bags, spare clothes, towel and toiletries bag. If you look closely at your spare tire, you can make a lot of room for gear.

• ditch the foam under the spare
  • ditch the foam tray on the spare and put jack and tools in a bag in the spare
I took things to the next level and raised the cargo floor and removed foam, ditched the plastic behind rear seats,

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I put molly panels from Blue Ridge Overland Gear www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com behind my drivers and passenger seats for molly packs to store gear. Did the same mod to remove the foam under the rear hatch for gear storage. Pretty much self reliant for road trips. I did install a 500 W power inverter so I can plug in my laptop and other charging needs but thinking of replacing that with a Jackery 1000 that’s portable power.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
449 Posts
If you enjoy Chihuly check out his St. Petersburg, FL location. 😵🤑 if your ever out that way.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R
239 Posts
My wife and I took our 2019 Outback Touring 3.6r on its first road trip in August 2019. We went from Cleveland, OH to St. Petersburg, FL. Then to New Orleans and on to Houston. We went straight to the local Subaru dealer and had our 6000 mile service. A day trip to Waco, Texas and another from Houston to LaGrange Texas. We left Houston for Jackson, MS then to Cincinnati and finally back to Cleveland. No issues and it allows me to become familiar with some of the systems. A little over 4500 miles. We had been traveling in my wife's 2015 Cadillac XTS. There are some things I do like in the Subaru and a few I don't. Wife has decided that her next vehicle will definitely NOT be a Subaru.

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
427 Posts
If you look closely at your spare tire, you can make a lot of room for gear.
Ditch the foam under the spare and ditch the foam tray on the spare and put jack and tools in a bag in the spare
How much did this affect interior road noise, if any?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts