Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got first scratch today ...

got a clear coat repair pen. still visible , not asintrusive .

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Bummer. You always remember your first.;) Had an '11 for 18months and 19,000 miles and nothing. Traded it for a '13 and in 100miles a baggage cart rolled off the curb and..... Go figure. I see PDR in my future, maybe, it's in a tough spot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i knew this is gonna happen sooner or later.

hard to swallow when it really happens

·
Registered
221 Posts
All these are wolds better than my first scrach on my old Baja. side swiped a barbed wire fence :'(

·
Registered
572 Posts
I tried removing a scratch that was all the way down the side of our 2013. I think it was caused by a shopping cart or hitting our toter trash can on the carport. I used the Meguires ScratchX 2.0. It got out most of it, but I could see it still on the back quarter. I purchased the car during a watering ban due to the drought, so my dealer owed me a full detail (as when we bought it they just washed it with a 5 gl bucket). They were able to completely remove the scratch during the detail as they buffed it. It looks new again now (other than the door edge paint scuff off that I had to touch up). You may check to ensure the scratches are not just deep clearcoat scratches. If you cannot see black (Subaru uses a black primer it appears) you may be ok to just have someone buff it out

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
i have tons of scratches on my car, its a subaru outback, if i wanted a shiny car, i'd have gotten something else. my wife's car is also subaru, a '12 impreza and any time she gets deep scratches, i use glare knockout and micro polish. expensive but nothing else works anywere near as well. i've even used it on my outback and you can barely tell there were ever any scratches. i'm not afraid to use my car like most people are...

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
...the first cut is the deepest...hey...there is a song there somewhere :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm in the "Going to keep it well past the age that scratches/cosmetic things don't affect the resale value anymore" camp.

That said, we got our first door ding (more of a press and rub) before we even got home. Ouch. Like Jor, this is my first new car, so I don't know how long the honeymoon phase will last before I stop caring so much. I know I won't someday, but I do now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a neighbor girl knock the "new" off of my 2 month old OB this morning. Rear-ended me at the neighborhood entrance this AM. Nothing $750 and a new rear bumper cover won't fix. <shrug>

·
Registered
133 Posts
The sun came out while I was driving to lunch today and I suddenly realized that all the branches that Sandy had dropped next to and in front of my OB had actually taken a detour to the ground, via my hood. 5 nice dimples (one looked like a softball had hit it at about 60 mph). The sheetmetal on Sheila is not nearly as thick as it was on my old 4Runner. But I bet the cost to buff/pull these out is less than the $$ I've saved on gas.

And then there's another one on the right fender that looked more like a parking lot sideswipe. That one just pisses me off.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well, I've had mine 2 days. (first new car in 9 years, that I ordered and waited for 2 months).Hubby wanted to take it to Home Depot today... didn't use the handle when closing the lift gate. 2 inch long, quarter in wide scrape with the paint peeled down from his wedding ring:rolleyes:

·
Registered
617 Posts
I remember my first scratch on the current car... happened a week after I bought it, when a large oak tree fell across the highway lane I happened to be driving on at the time. Probably a white oak. Not a reddoak, for sure.

Touche, tree. Well played. More unexpected than a Spanish Inquisition.

It's got plenty of scratches since then, and I've enjoyed every one of them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
24 Participants
spryan81
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing