Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May seem silly, but I'm genuinely excited for winter to come! Not just because I love skiing or sitting by a crackling fire with some cocoa, but because I've never owned a competent winter car. My personal vehicles have always been RWD; lots of fun, but easily rendered useless.
That said, I hope we get at least a couple weeks of autumn. It went from consistent 75-80 degree weather to snowing lol.

Another big plus from the moisture, the Missoula Valley looks like it took a big ass claritin. With all the smoke from the fires, I'd forgotten what the other side of town looked like!
Just a couple days prior (and a comparatively clear day at that!)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Thats awesome,colder weath can't come faster in Vegas lol hit 103 today...last week was quite cold, 89day 68 night but its a dessert out here,btw u have hid fog lights?!lol things are bright!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Funny in that I'm board member of a private ski area with our own property. It was asked if we should make some snow for our annual fall fundraiser this weekend but it won't happen because of the drought.

I've seen plenty of Outbacks prior to 2013s do fine at our ski area and I'm already using mine on our service roads that are 4x4 only. This is not what I'd call serious 4x4 action but travel on unpaved roads where front and rear wheel drive or low clearance vehicles can't travel most or all the time.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Let it snow

Ironic, that my kids want snow in MD this year (warm winter last year) so they can get out of school due to of hazardous driving conditions. I want snow this winter so I can drive my Outback in "hazardous" driving conditions. :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
We had 80º plus weather yesterday, we expect our first snow on Saturday. We seem to go from summer to winter, leaving out the fall, the same way as we went from winter to summer this year, leaving out the spring!

We had real snow tires on our 2003 Outback, and that baby did not know any driving problems in winter weather!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Same here! Bring on Winter. I just finished my 1" lift and can't wait to see how it does in the deeper stuff.

Back in 2003 I owned a '99 Impreza RS which was my first Subaru ever. It was lowered on Tein springs and was running Toyo tires. I believe it was around March when we had one heck of a blizzard. My wife sunk the mini-van in the ditch (due to my negligence in getting good winter tires for it) and was just coming back from a grocery run and so we needed that food bad. For the 20 miles to the mini-van and the 20 miles back I was pushing snow the entire way. I was 200% impressed with that car. There were so many cars and trucks stuck but not my RS. It pushed on through like a trooper.

I am now on my second ever Subaru and can't wait to see how it handles the snow. I'm hoping for a lot of snow this Winter (plus the trees and grass could use the moisture).

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I can't wait for some real snow. I lived in NC for 3 years and missed the stuff dearly. The last 2 winters have been nice, but not enough snow for my liking. I'd love to see 8-10 inches so I can really try out the OB. My Legacy GT never dissapointed with all season tires through some wet and slushy snow. My '05 RS never saw much snow, but my '98 L Impreza sure could handle it well.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats awesome,colder weath can't come faster in Vegas lol hit 103 today...last week was quite cold, 89day 68 night but its a dessert out here,btw u have hid fog lights?!lol things are bright!
Oh yes, 55 watts of 4500k fury :D I did a writeup on the whole transition.

Ironic, that my kids want snow in MD this year (warm winter last year) so they can get out of school due to of hazardous driving conditions. I want snow this winter so I can drive my Outback in "hazardous" driving conditions. :D
I never got a single snow day growing up lol. I remember standing on the side of the road with snow up to my knees waiting for the bus. Often dodging plows lol.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I just replaced my worn out Teva's yesterday and plan on wearing them till December. California is just that way sorry. I drive to Tahoe when I want snow lots of Snow. LOL

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hopefully Indiana gets snow this year. Last year we only received a dusting all winter. Crazy El Nino or La Nina or whatever gender child weather pattern we were having. The venetian red pearl looks great next to the snow.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I never got a single snow day growing up lol. I remember standing on the side of the road with snow up to my knees waiting for the bus. Often dodging plows lol.
Yeh, my folks told me the same stories, like walking six miles to school each way, up hill both ways. lol

Folks are wimps around here in MD. They've canceled the kids' school on the threat of snow. Not kidding. If there is an inch or more it is total mayhem - folks don't know how to drive, the grocery stores run out of milk, bread, and toilet paper, everything shuts down. I lived in Stockholm in the 80's and it was similar to MT. If you knew it was going to snow that night, you set your alarm to get up earlier to have enough time to dig out and get to work on time.

·
Registered
355 Posts
This is also my first winter with an AWD vehicle I drove a 93 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera before I bought this. Never really had any problems surprisingly. No ABS, traction control, and just FWD. But I kept good tires on it(family friend owns a used tire shop man that was helpful $10 for a used tire for that car).

Anyway, now I've got my 1st Gen, with new Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads :) They've got about 1500 miles on them, and I can't wait to really test them out!

I do also snowboard so I am very excited for that as well!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hopefully Indiana gets snow this year. Last year we only received a dusting all winter. Crazy El Nino or La Nina or whatever gender child weather pattern we were having. The venetian red pearl looks great next to the snow.
Last winter wasn't very good at all. Probably the reason fires are still ravaging the area now. We had one good 2+foot dumping but got very little throughout most of the winter. Still, that had my 300 bottoming out and getting stuck on unpaved side streets where the snow got packed to ice. Can't wait for the OB to tackle that.

Good for you.
We get enough snow for enough months that it is not really something I look forward to.
Us too. But after having just a couple months of 100 degree heat and very little moisture all summer, I'm ready to jump into my ski boots and hit the slopes.

Yeh, my folks told me the same stories, like walking six miles to school each way, up hill both ways. lol

Folks are wimps around here in MD. They've canceled the kids' school on the threat of snow. Not kidding. If there is an inch or more it is total mayhem - folks don't know how to drive, the grocery stores run out of milk, bread, and toilet paper, everything shuts down. I lived in Stockholm in the 80's and it was similar to MT. If you knew it was going to snow that night, you set your alarm to get up earlier to have enough time to dig out and get to work on time.
That too! This wasn't that long ago though... I was in grade school in the 90's for cryin out loud haha. School never got canceled in the winter. If they did anything it was cancel recess when temps dropped below -30F ambient or -40F windchill. I assume they figured a well bundled child could survive at least 40 minutes in those temps when recess was only half that amount of time lol.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
...I think that we subaru drivers are the only drivers who really look forward to the first snowfall of the fall/winter season. :29:

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Perhaps, but there is nothing like the ski fanatics when the Tahoe ski resorts open up every year.
...I have been a ski fanatic since my dad put me on skis when I was 4 years old...oh yeah...aren't some ski fanatics also suby onwners?? :29:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts