Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At around Christmas time I'm getting a 2001 Legacy Wagon (correct me if im wrong but i pretty sure that's the same as the outback). There is no extra parts or anything on the car I'm sure its fully stock. This is not including parts that where just replaced over the years. Every thing on the car is running and works. I was just wondering if anyone had tips, or suggestions for me about if there's anything that i should get for the car or anything that I may need to know about owning one (ex.what parts need replacing the most?) Uses: I will Primarily use this car for skiing so it will be a snow car but I will use it a lot to drive to school. Eventually i plan to get a better stereo and other components for the car as well. Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
850 Posts
The timing belt & related components should have been replaced around 105,000 miles (168,000 km). Headgaskets are also a common issue on the 2.5L 4cyl engines so again if those haven't been done or if you don't need them now, you should be expecting to have them done in the future due to mostly external oil & coolant leakage. Another common thing to be replaced is the right front inner cv boot due to the catalytic converter being right under it and drying it out with time causing it split and throw grease everywhere. That about covers everything...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Are you getting the car from a family member, or are you getting one from the local used can sales lot? If from family, you'll stand a better chance of knowing the service history of the thing, and perhaps get the service records. If from a dealer, it may be all luck of the draw, and one that I wouldn't recommend with a 11 year old car.

But yes, you are correct in that a Legacy and an Outback from those years are basically the same, save for some suspension set up differences. Aside from what's been said about timing belts and CV boots, make sure all 4 tires on the thing are the same and have the same wear levels. Subaru's AWD system is very particular about having matching tires. I'm not sure if 2001 Legacy has a 2.5 SOHC or DOHC engine though, but head gasket break down is a known concern with both, SOHC being the easier one to see symptoms in.

There's been a few other threads recently about the very topic of getting an old Subaru. Those probably have good tips to consider.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
cliffs'n pow
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing