Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,500 Posts
At first glance it appears to be a love hate relationship. It becomes second nature for many (not all) as you grow accustomed to the touch controls instead of physical controls. There recently was a new software update for the infotainment that added and tweaked features and functions.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
871 Posts
Let's be fair - some of the things with the mechanics and "hidden" engineering features of Toyota are fantastic. A great example is the dual fuel injector setup they have that prevents carbon buildup in direct injection engines. They also tend to have very robust transmissions and engines. But, I agree in your assessment that the interiors appear to be slightly dated and Spartan. (I have family that has a Toyota SUV and I've test driven some of the newer Highlanders & RAV4's)

Basically, to sum it up in a few words: It's an appliance.

Not all of them, the FT86 is a blast to drive, and I've heard the Supra is as well. But we're talking about the typical Japanese econobox model from the early 90's with some flair on it.

It's been a really fun experience as an owner and driver of 3 Subarus - and it's our go-to car unless we need the space from my wife's third-row SUV. We would have considered and probably purchased the Ascent if it was available, but we purchased about 2 years before it launched.

Also, keep in mind that many of us are just offering our opinion and suggestions - do your due diligence and research. Don't just accept what the forum posts as "Subaru law"!

The best thing you can do for your Subaru is a fluid check about once a week. Many issues can be avoided by checking the oil and coolant level before problems become a problem. Regarding the CVT Fluid, that is not specified in the manual for the US market, but the Canadian market Subaru does require a 100 kilometer (60k mile) CVT fluid change interval, and that's what some of us that are more... proactive/obsessive... are going on for longevity's sake. I'd rather be out $300-400 for a CVTF change than on the hook for a new $9000 transmission.

Again, welcome to the family, and read the manual! There's a lot of intense tech in here especially related to EyeSight. Take the time and read the manual, familiarize yourself on important things like spare tire location, etc.

This website is really great in terms of community. People are eager to help. And make sure you bookmark this site. Make this site your homepage!
FT86 is basically a Subaru and the Supra is a BMW. IMO The Highlander is their best product. On the CVT I believe the manual will indicate under severe driving which obviously includes a lot of towing its close to 25k change interval. Honda has 30k change intervals but it looks very easy to change

·
Registered
2020 OB Onyx XT - Abyss Blue Pearl
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
FT86 is basically a Subaru and the Supra is a BMW. IMO The Highlander is their best product. On the CVT I believe the manual will indicate under severe driving which obviously includes a lot of towing its close to 25k change interval. Honda has 30k change intervals but it looks very easy to change
We test drove the highlander. The V6 in it is nice, but the transmission was similarly as bad as the one in the RAV4. Not to mention the wind noise on the highway... Yeah, I’m not too worried about the CVT fluid as we won’t be towing much.

·
Registered
20 Outback Limited XT
23 Posts
Welcome! I think your initial impressions are shared by many here. they certainly mirror many of mine ( as a first tiem Subaru Buyer myself). Hopefully you enjoy your choice for many a year to come.

BTW, I have to say your quote of: "It’s amazing how much Toyota rides on the coattails of their reliability, so much so that they’re sacrificing much of what makes a vehicle worth driving." is SPOT on!
Ummm Toyota's reliability is beyond incredible and definitely deserved IMO and not only are they incredibly reliable but they stand behind the product. I had a late 90's Tacoma that developed the frame rust issue they had back in that era, Toyota bought the truck back from me for 2.5 times top retail value ! The truck was 12 years old, had 225,000 miles and other than spark plugs. battery and tires was almost all original. No doubt in my mind that truck was the best vehiicle I've ever owned and would have easily gone for 300,000 + miles.

But the past is the past and I'm lovin my OUTBACK!!

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
871 Posts
Ummm Toyota's reliability is beyond incredible and definitely deserved IMO and not only are they incredibly reliable but they stand behind the product. I had a late 90's Tacoma that developed the frame rust issue they had back in that era, Toyota bought the truck back from me for 2.5 times top retail value ! The truck was 12 years old, had 225,000 miles and other than spark plugs. battery and tires was almost all original. No doubt in my mind that truck was the best vehiicle I've ever owned and would have easily gone for 300,000 + miles.

But the past is the past and I'm lovin my OUTBACK!!
You can say that about a lot of the 90's Japanese cars. I have a 90 Civic Wago-van and even though it has 82k miles everything works- A/C, blower motor, all switches, alternator ,radio with cassette.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
I'm hoping to jump into a Touring XT or leave the brand for a Tesla Model Y when my 2019 Forester lease is up in a little less than a year and a half. The Tesla is my first choice, but the Mrs. isn't sold on it, so the Touring XT would be a stopgap measure for ~10 years while the infrastructure catches up.
I have a client with a Model S. He does regular road trips up and down the east coast. Has no issues finding charging stations.

The infrastructure is building pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,500 Posts
Not to digress from the topic at hand, but it would be better if they offered a CCS adapter. Electrify America rolls out with all but one that use CCS that maxes at 150 kW and some have either 0 or 1 that works with Chademo, capped at 50 kW, which requires purchase of a $450 adapter to use with a Tesla.

The highways are getting better but my criticism is that it’s not directly on the highways here like a service area on a toll road. 5-10 minutes in each direction to get to the charger and back adds up.

·
Registered
20 Outback Limited XT
23 Posts
You can say that about a lot of the 90's Japanese cars. I have a 90 Civic Wago-van and even though it has 82k miles everything works- A/C, blower motor, all switches, alternator ,radio with cassette.
I have to agree with that and I'm pretty sure it was because of the ... cars being so good that it made the U.S. manufacturers realize they needed to step up their game.

Mod comment: I'm sure you meant to type Japanese, didn't you?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts