Subaru Outback Forums banner

First Subaru Problems

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cardoc 
#1 ·
So I bought a 2002 Outback limited with 146,xxx Miles on it for 600$. The seller said he was driving home one day and it just randomly died he tried popping the clutch but it wouldn't start back up. He had the alternator tested and it failed so I replaced it, he checked the timing belt and it was intact. Now the new alternator is in since he never put the old one back on I decided to try and start it. Which seemed promising when it started to crank with a new battery but that's all it did I could hear the fuel pump cycling and I assume that means its fine. The seller also said he changed plugs wires and coil pack about 2 weeks before it died on him so I just wondered if there's any other thing that could be the problem. Also, aside question because I'm familiar with working on lots of different cars as I've owned American made cars and currently own a BMW and a Volvo is this an interference motor or can I wait a few months to change the timing belt but if it'll cause catastrophic engine failure ill wait to drive it until I can fix it.

#2 ·
I presume this is a 4 cylinder, as 6 cylinders have timing chains.

interference engine. I would buy a Aisin timing belt KIT for it, (all Japanese hardware,...vs. chinese junk in a nice box).

as far as the starting problem and the way it died:
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forum.../41182-symptoms-fuel-pump-o-ring-problem.html

and subarus like the following:

NGK plugs and Wires,

and OEM Coils that say "subaru" on the front = its a long long life product that should not be changed for maint..

(dealers are selling some odd label wires too, but NGK are the easy gets).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.