Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm curious what you immediately did to your new Outback when you got it to better suit your needs/desires.

I took delivery of my 2017 Outback Premium in June this year. The first things I did were to:

1: Remove the back set head-rests because they block my vision out of the rear view mirror (Did the same when I got my 2000 Outback)
2: Removed the pull out cover in the cargo area as it just gets in the way (Did the same when I got my 2000 Outback)
3 Stopped the beep when using the remote to lock/unlock (Did the same when I got my 2000 outback)
4: Was aghast that the horn would sound repeatedly when I actual used the key to unlock the door so I found how to make that infernal honking stop!
5: Threw out the tray that came inside the armrest compartment.

Planned Changes
1: Need to find a way to put a hook up on the dash to keep the power chord from the GPS from draping itself over the infotainment center screen. Not only does it block the screen when it drapes over it but it actually, when touching, makes the touch screen non-responsive to commands.
2: Need to file or otherwise make some slots on the hatch to front the compartment where the power plug, AUX plug and USBs are so that wires can come out (GPS power) and have the hatch open and close properly.
3: Get the Yakima landing pads and towers so that I can put real roof rack poles on top. The factory cross bars are too flimsy and with bikes on top it bends and sways. The curvature of the cross bars make the bikes lean sideways on either end putting extra stress on the bike racks and the rails.
4: Replace the terrible speakers with quality 3rd party speakers. The sound quality at high speeds is intolerable.

Repairs

1: When the back seat is folded down to provide extra cargo space there is a plastic seat part that falls off repeatedly. Need to get it to stay on.

Edit to Add.

I read that the 2017 Outbacks don't have tie down locations for carrying a large canoe on top. I looks and that appears to be correct. In my younger years with my 2000 Outback I went on many long canoe camping trips up to Quebec including 8 hours of high speed highway driving and 100 miles of driving on logging roads to get to the location. (and the same distance home again) It appears to be true that the 2017 does not have any way to put front and back tie-downs so that modification will be necessary should I desire to put my large canoe on top. How cold Subaru forget this?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,223 Posts
Among the first customizations to my car occured when my friend decided to chrisen it with body gas.
That's why I only have few friends, and nobody really rides in my OBs.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cargo cover when extended helps keep the car quiet inside as hthere are no seats or soft material to absorb road noise
You will hear better sounds from the radio. Somewhat anyway
Thanks I will see about putting it back in after my family overnight trips with lots of cargo are over. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,268 Posts
Cargo cover when extended helps keep the car quiet inside as hthere are no seats or soft material to absorb road noise
You will hear better sounds from the radio. Somewhat anyway
I've never ran my cargo cover but this is the first I've heard of this.

Neat.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,537 Posts
1) Programmed a few radio presets.

2) Paired cell phones.

3) Installed a USB flash drive containing our entire home music library.

4) Installed turnpike toll transponder.

5) Replaced dealer-badged license plate frame. (Per my request, there were no other dealer badges to remove.)

... later ...

6) Installed Fumoto engine oil drain valve at first oil change.

7) In low-beam headlights, replaced OE H11 halogen lamps (55W, ~1250 lumens) with H9 halogen lamps (65W, ~2000 lumens).

8) Replaced OE 16mm rear stabilizer bar with a Subaru 19mm bar.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,426 Posts
Outside of settings, the first thing I did was to replace the backup bulbs with bright LEDs. Then yellow Lamin-x fog light protection film.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
508 Posts
We will be ordering very soon. Reached a deal, car should arive around Dec -

Planned-

Tint front windows to match

MR118 17" and Gerolanders.

Rear debadge of 'outback' and 'subaru' lettering. We will leave the 3.6R and 'AWD' and plasti dip them.

Will probably plasti dip most of the chrome stuff. Maybe even the grille.

LED fog light conversion (already have them, just pull them off my TDi - same bulbs)

LED reverse lights

LED interior light upgrade

Husky liners.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring Dark Blue Pearl, 2019 Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2017 Impreza 2.0i CVT, 2016 WRX 6MT ST2 FF
55 Posts
I removed the dealer sticker and licence plate frames. I didn't pay $36k to the dealer so that they could turn my car into a billboard.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
216 Posts
I also removed the dealer plate covers immediately. Got a full backplate for the rear license plate so it wouldn't vibrate on the paint. May not be necessary for others but my plate was damaged in a collision with the previous outback and the plates transferred over. No matter how much work I did with a hammer and stone, I couldn't get that thing straight so on goes the backplate and no issue since.

Five miles later I added the 19mm sway bar. Hard wired my GPS into the fuse box and ran the wire out of sight in the panels besides the drivers door. Added HIDs and LED fogs . Wired in my scangauge so it rests in the lower dash cubby and the wires are hidden. Got the fumoto waiting for the first oil change.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
1) Turned off all annoying beeps and horn honks.
2) Tinted front windows to match rest.
3) Removed dealer license tag frame.
4) Removed OEM battery and replaced with Optima Yellow Top.
5) Installed suction cup dash cam.
6) Replaced all interior bulbs with LED's (except for map lights).
7) Removed straps that were digging into the rear seats and replaced with sticky velcro to hold cargo mat in place.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
508 Posts
Is there a guide for getting rid of beeps and horn honks? I dont like that stuff on a car.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is there a guide for getting rid of beeps and horn honks? I dont like that stuff on a car.
Getting rid of the beeps is a setting in Starlink somewhere. Called Mute I think. That "Mute" button does not actually say what it mutes. I tried it and it worked.

Getting rid of the Honk when the key is used to open the door is a crazy sequence of pressing door buttons but it's in the manual.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited Package 23
48 Posts
I haven't done much, but I do have a lot of planned.

1) Adjust seat and mirrors.

2) Set some radio presets and link phone bluetooth.

3) Remove cargo cover.

4) Focus on break-in procedure.

5) Still reading owners manual. This will take a while. I'm a slow reader.

6) The first thing I actually bought are autosocks size 697. Lol.

---Planned---

7) The next thing I'm going to buy is probably Husky mats or Weathertech/OEM. Still researching.

8) Buy rear seat back protector. Most likely OEM ones. Need to research.

9) I need to buy license plate frames, but not sure what I want to display yet. Probably my alma mater. Go Bruins!

10) Tint. I'm leaning towards Llumar air 80 windshield and 35% Llumar ceramic for rest of the car. More research is needed.

11) Buy sunshade. Most likely OEM ones. Need to research.

12) Method MR502 + Blizzak. More research is needed.

13) Find a place to wash my car. You guessed it! I need to research.

14) Put together a tools and emergency kit for car.

---Potential---

15) Read up on annoying beeps and horn honks.

16) Look into other settings like unlocking procedure and what else I can customize.

17) Read about 19mm rear stabilizer bar. I probably won't need it because I'm not an aggressive driver.

18) Figure out Fumoto engine oil drain valve. I have 24k miles or 2 years until potentially doing my own oil change.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I haven't done much, but I do have a lot of planned.

1) Adjust seat and mirrors.
Can I guess that you took delivery today? :)

5) Still reading owners manual. This will take a while. I'm a slow reader.
I downloaded the manual months before I purchased. Read the whole thing. But still, the manual is not great and there are both pleasant and unpleasant surprises.

I still haven't found the WARNING NOTICE in the manual that if you need good sound from the sound system you'll need to replace the crappy speakers. ;)

Nor have I found the WARNING NOTICE in the manual that if you want to put a reasonable size canoe on top the car has no front and back tie down hooks.

1 - 20 of 260 Posts