Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Outback w/Eyesight, Venetian Red Pearl
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 51 1/2 weeks since purchasing, we finally got a snow worthy of testing the Outback, about 4 inches (I can hear you Northerners snickering but hey, it's significant for us in the SoCal mountains)!

I was very impressed with the performance of the Outback on the snow-covered roads. We drove around on fresh snow, as well as plowed, icy roads. We also went up and down fairly steep paved roads. This is with the original Dueler tires that have most of their tread remaining. At no time did the car feel squirrelly or break traction.

The only difficulty I had was trying to use X-mode. I engaged it to get up our somewhat steep gravel driveway but I don't think I did it correctly because when I let off the gas the car slowed down instead of continuing up. Guess I need to review the manual again. As it turned out, the car went up the driveway like a champ anyway. Impressive as my old 4WD Tahoe always seemed to have problems getting up the driveway!

·
Registered
212 Posts
After 51 1/2 weeks since purchasing, we finally got a snow worthy of testing the Outback, about 4 inches (I can hear you Northerners snickering but hey, it's significant for us in the SoCal mountains)!

I was very impressed with the performance of the Outback on the snow-covered roads. We drove around on fresh snow, as well as plowed, icy roads. We also went up and down fairly steep paved roads. This is with the original Dueler tires that have most of their tread remaining. At no time did the car feel squirrelly or break traction.

The only difficulty I had was trying to use X-mode. I engaged it to get up our somewhat steep gravel driveway but I don't think I did it correctly because when I let off the gas the car slowed down instead of continuing up. Guess I need to review the manual again. As it turned out, the car went up the driveway like a champ anyway!
Yeah X-mode isn't like crawl control. You still need to hit the accelerator.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah X-mode isn't like crawl control. You still need to hit the accelerator.

I did initially give it gas to start up the hill slowly. Then I took my foot off the accelerator with the expectation that the car would continue up at the rate as when I stopped pressing the gas. Since the car started slowing down, I pressed the accelerator again, thinking that the car would stop on the hill if I didn't. Would it have?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
458 Posts
Snickering here from New England, where we got a foot and a half of snow on Tuesday. My SnowGo avatar became this picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
I did initially give it gas to start up the hill slowly. Then I took my foot off the accelerator with the expectation that the car would continue up at the rate as when I stopped pressing the gas. Since the car started slowing down, I pressed the accelerator again, thinking that the car would stop on the hill if I didn't. Would it have?
Yeah you would have stopped. My thinking is the initial start was aided by the lower gear of X-mode, but since we have no torque it was short lived. I'm usually on the gas when I'm in X-mode.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! After your explanations, and re-reading the manual, it appears I made the assumption that the vehicle speed is maintained while going uphill while in X-mode. The Hill Descent function controls the downhill speed but not the uphill speed. Got it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts