Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Excited to be part of the Subaru driver family, as of last week! Picked up a cpo '18 outback.
Didn't even get a tank of gas through it and hit a deer, so it's in the shop, terrible luck but nobody was hurt (except the deer).

Plan to do a few things to make it unique, add a roof cargo tray, tint the front windows, eventually pick up new wheels and some good AT's .

My wife saw one at the dealership that had the wheel arch moldings and really liked them. Almost$400!!!! Yikes that's crazy for 4 pieces of plastic.

Had anyone tried the$160 eBay versions? Wondering if the fit/finish is ok or not. Would love to hear from someone that's tried them or seen them installed.

Thanks all

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,995 Posts
Welcome to the forum; too bad about the deer. Was there much damage to the vehicle?

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
Repair shop called and said approx $2600 so far, without seeing behind the bumper. Oh well, will have it back in a week.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited
95 Posts
I have ordered parts from subaruonlineparts.com and have never had any issues. I noticed on my 2015 Outback that the texture of the plastic on the wheel arch mouldings does not match the rest of the black plastic exterior trim. You have to look closely and be a bit OCD to even notice. But I noticed, lol.

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited 3.6R
171 Posts
I really love the look or the arch moldings and just opened my wallet, was roughly $500 CAD installed and they pair well with the OE mudflaps. I will own this car until it's ultimate future demise and I wanted it to look how I wanted from the beginning... mentally I just increased the purchase price of my car by $500 and "they came on the car". That's how I slept at night lol.

IMO the one thing the OB was missing that all the competition had was arch moldings. It looks more rugged with them although they do make the already inset wheels look more inset. All of the redesigned Subaru CUV/SUV models now come with the wheel arch moldings standard.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good info all.

I was hoping someone had tried the eBay "generic version" and was happy with them...

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woohoo got the car back from repair shop. Deer damage is gone.

Snow storm started around noon today.

Had a charger (rear wheel drive) as a rental, terrible in snow wow! Wife got it stuck on the way to go drop it off and get car back. Shoveled a bit and some pushing and got it out.

Outback is like"snow? What snow?" Lol amazing really. Went up our steep driveway before I could snowblow easier than my Silverado in 4hi.

Ordered some Infinity speakers for the front doors... Should make a nice difference in sound quality.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a little something to spruce up the cargo rack fairing. Window tinting should be done next week.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have a nice"snow-pocalypse" going on, wet slushy stuff keeps coming down, and tonight it's getting cold, going to be icy .

Coming back from grocery store tonight, road into neighborhood is steep and a decent amount of slush/icy snow.

Guy in a fwd Honda with summer tires is stuck mid way. Local fire employee is getting ready to chain up and pull him to the top.

New outback walks up like it's nothing.

Love this car!

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Limited
26 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on your purchase! You will love the Outback. I bought a '17 Outback CPO a month ago...it's awesome!

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 3.6R; Magnetite on Gray Leather, Package 24, Bone Stock for Now
115 Posts
Woohoo got the car back from repair shop. Deer damage is gone.

Snow storm started around noon today.

Had a charger (rear wheel drive) as a rental, terrible in snow wow! Wife got it stuck on the way to go drop it off and get car back. Shoveled a bit and some pushing and got it out.

Outback is like"snow? What snow?" Lol amazing really. Went up our steep driveway before I could snowblow easier than my Silverado in 4hi.

Ordered some Infinity speakers for the front doors... Should make a nice difference in sound quality.

Outback is generally good in snow. Turn off traction control and it will be better. Just don't get over confident. Subaru's AWD system is great, but a lot of safe driving in bad weather rests with the driver and not the car. I utilize the paddle shifters to allow the engine to brake the car vs using the brake pedal.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 3.6R; Magnetite on Gray Leather, Package 24, Bone Stock for Now
115 Posts
Just a little something to spruce up the cargo rack fairing. Window tinting should be done next week.

Where did you get the roof rack and decal? I like it. I've been looking for a similar set-up.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where did you get the roof rack and decal? I like it. I've been looking for a similar set-up.
Sorry I just saw this.

The rack is made by Curt 18115, picked up on Amazon for $99.

Decal was a shop on Etsy .

You can pick the size you like.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Installed a set of infinity reference 6x9 in the front doors. Not a lot of time to listen so far but initial impression is crisp, clear, decent low end not"sub like" but ok.

So much better sounding than the factory$2 speakers haha.

Added a small amount of deadener while I was in there.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My wife saw a Subaru with the door side molding and liked the look. So I installed a set tonight, breaks up the panel a bit.
Also debadged the rear OB since I had the hair dryer out anyways. Haven't decided if I'm going to take the Subaru and AWD off the other side yet.

·
Registered
2019 3.6R Limited, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
7 Posts
Good info all.

I was hoping someone had tried the eBay "generic version" and was happy with them...

I will be watching this thread for an answer. I have been watching the ebay listing for these and have not seen any reviews or any posts with first hand experience for these.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
42 Posts
Excellent - congrats on the purchase - sorry to hear about hitting a deer. I allowed myself to give you a few more ideas to make it unique yet also directly improve protection of the car's exterior/interior. We have the following on our 2016 so I can vouch for these - apologies for all the links:
1. Rear Bumper cover - can't tell from picture if you have it or not. Helps protect bumper from scratches when loading gear into the car.
2. Rear seat Back protector - when seats are folded down it creates a natural extension of rubber trunk mat. Extremely rarely but you can find them on the craigslist.
3. I see you don't have mud flaps. We have Rally Armor and they look really nice and do the job better than OEM (I have OEM on my 08). Pricey? Yes. But we keep cars till they start falling apart so we pulled the trigger on it. Made it a Christmas gift :)
4. Floor Mats for the interior. We went with full set of WeatherTechs (front and 2nd row). They are way better than Subaru's winter mats. I had fronts on my 08 for years and they are amazing with all the snow/slush we have in Wisco.
5. Yeah, those cars are beasts in the snow. Given we live out in the country in Wisconsin I decided to get dedicated set of winter rims/tires for this car. I was able to get a OEM set (exactly same set what my wife's car came with) of barely used rims/TPMS/tires here on Classifieds. Tires were removed and went into storage, my come handy as a replacement set later down the road. Rims were in so nice condition we made it Spring-Fall set (put Michellins on them). On the original set of rims we put Blizzaks on. It is amazing what this car can do with winter set on. That said i never get over confident despite of that as this is step 1 to a disaster. I am not sure when the switch happen but 2016 is still on all TPMS while at some point Subaru switched sensors to a new frequency. So if you get new rims for your Subie it might be worth keeping your original rims and throw winter tires on them.

cheers!
Marcinho

1 - 20 of 28 Posts