Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are purchasing our first new car ever, a Subaru Outback premium plus eyesight. We tested drove apsome other cars but both like outback the best. Very excited to have a reliable car for the snow this winter.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
We live in New England area with a lot of snow. Would u recommend snow tires still for AWD
There are some on this forum that will swear you MUST have snow tires.

I'm more practical and believe it all depends how often do you truly drive on snow covered roads.

My '15 OB has yet to see a snow covered road. Snow tires to me would be a waste of money.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
433 Posts
You don't NEED snow tires. Cars today are equipped with all season tires that work acceptably in snow and the majority of drivers with front wheel drive never switch a tire in their entire car ownership. You now own one of the best AWD systems around and you will have even less problem getting around.

Now, having said that, if you want to be safer and more planted on the road, get "winter" tires (not snow) as they will be night and day difference in traction on ice and snow as they are designed for winter driving conditions. Softer rubber as the temps drop to grip the ice. Special rubber compound to channel water out from under the tire to prevent slippage on ice. Big grooves to grip snow better.

I have driven on winter tires for 15+ years and would never drive without them (2 or 4 wheel drive). While the winter tires do grab the snow better than any all season tire you can use, it is driving on ice that they most excel. Go to Tire Rack and they have videos that visually show the differences in all season and winter tires in traction on ice. If you can afford them, they are worth every penny. If you cannot, then just drive carefully as here in Michigan one sees more AWD or 4 wheel drive vehicles in the ditches because they take off from a stop with much less slipping than a 2 wheel drive car and it gives the driver a false impression of traction and once a 4 wheel drive vehicle is moving, it cannot stop or has any more traction than a 2 wheel drive vehicle and slides just as easy. So they go blasting by everyone in 2 wheel drive only to see them upside down in the ditch a few miles up the road.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,859 Posts
We live in New England area with a lot of snow. Would u recommend snow tires still for AWD
2nd winter on all seasons used for 40,000 miles, really really sucks in some places.

All wheel spin vs. all wheel drive.

I have 2 sets of snow tires on their own rims parked in my garage right now.
(a investment in my life,...but where I live many cars are on snow tires. subarus/ AWD/ 2wd / 4wd).

I would think this first winter you will be fine, ...plenty of threads here on the debate and what to buy. new england snow comes as so much more ice and wet stuff then the rest of the subaru loving public gets though.

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2nd winter on all seasons used for 40,000 miles, really really sucks in some places.

All wheel spin vs. all wheel drive.

I have 2 sets of snow tires on their own rims parked in my garage right now.
(a investment in my life,...but where I live many cars are on snow tires. subarus/ AWD/ 2wd / 4wd).

I would think this first winter you will be fine, ...plenty of threads here on the debate and what to buy. new england snow comes as so much more ice and wet stuff then the rest of the subaru loving public gets though.

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
Thanks for the advise. I think we probably will get a set of snow tires since I am driving 50 miles for commute daily. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts