Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring 2.5i
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of a 2018 Outback Touring 2.5i a couple weeks ago and have already logged 1400 miles. I've been a BMW owner since 2004 but could no longer justify nearly 60k to get all the active safety features on the Outback. The ride, noise levels, and comfort are vastly better than my 2013 BMW X3. The Subaru handles crisply and lacks nothing other than the acceleration - which I could have remedied had I gone with the 3.6R.

Other than better reliability, other things that drew me away from BMW (or it's main competitors) were the ability to run on regular fuel (where we live in York, PA the stations generally charge a 60 cent per gallon premium on 93 octane fuel) and having a NON-turbo charged engine.

Fuel mileage has been outstanding - better than EPA ratings. An 75/25 mix of highway and local driving delivers a consistent 31.5 average. That's by calculator, not trip computer.

The audio system is vastly better than my Bimmer, but I'm not nearly as sold on Apple Car Play as I thought I'd be. The in-car navigation system is good, but there are not nearly enough voice commands for things like previous destinations, favorites, and the like. Using voice commands, it will easily find a Starbucks or Home Depot, but can't find a local pub or hardware store without an address. Of course, the Car Play navigation using Siri will do all of that, but once connected to the car, many of the features built in to the car's voice command system (temperature control, change to XM Channel 16, etc.) become unavailable.

When my neighbors saw the Outback, one of them said "but it's not a BMW." They are right. It's better.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
346 Posts
Congrats on your new Outback. I took delivery of the same model you did a couple weeks ago too and have 480 miles. Current MPG is 27.8 according to trip computer, but not much highway driving. Coming from a Toyota Tundra the biggest adjustment I have to make is sitting alot lower. I like the Eyesight features.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts