Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased an '03 Subaru Outback Legacy. I had been looking for a decent vehicle for almost a year now, I am a 2nd year grad student and I figured I needed something reliable as well. I live in Iowa, and we used to get a lot of snow, but my last vehicle was also awd and i felt like anything else would be a downgrade.

I found this one with just over 100k, almost spotless, no rust. Cloth interior, 2.5H4, 5-speed. Driver's side headlight needs some buffing out, but that's about it. I'll post better pics later on.

I'm new to the boxer engine, but experienced in other setups, done some mechanics in the past. Been reading some horror stories about the timing belt replacement and head gaskets, and as far as i know they've never been replaced on this one. I'll do the gaskets easy when the time comes, but messing with the timing?? Maybe left best to a pro? But it's pricey...
I have a squeaky power-steering pump, but only when turning tight in neutral or with the clutch in. I'll figure it out soon.

I am the 3rd owner, I'd like to keep this baby for over 300k like some of you have been posting about, and I am a car freak so I will def. take care of her. I'd like to do an intake/exhaust setup just to give her some more power if anyone knows of something good, haven't been able to find anything recently. Airaid makes a 'universal' kit...thoughts? The natural sound of the B4 is great though, if i could get a high-flow exhaust to amplify that just a bit would be nice.

Any sources as far as aftermarket parts/accessories? A few interior mods id like to make, trim, etc...

Thanks!! Los

Attachments

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
look for bubbles in the pwr strg tank while idling. Somtimes the o-rings going to the suction hose, or the hose itself, has a leak and it suck in air.

just do a search here for any system that is giving you a problem, if you can't find the answer - just ask.

there are on-line dealers that are usually cheaper than local dealerships. Or challenge you local dealer to match prices. I've used fred beans and www.subarugenuineparts.com - both were good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do a search for the power steering o-ring and go ahead and change it. I'd change the idler and tensioner bearing too. Both cheap and easy.

Welcome to the Subaru family!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!! I've been reading all over the blog and there really are some great things here. Great people too, happy to be a part of the fam!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The timing belt replacement was a breeze on mine. I used a Gates Timing Belt and it had the marks for alignment on the belt itself, it's no sweat even without the marks. just know that until the belt is properly tensioned, the D/S head will be slightly "behind."

·
Premium Member
11,896 Posts
Catch up any questionable maintenance and stick to a schedule. Use premium unleaded and add in a full can of Sea Foam twice a year to keep the fuel system clean and injectors spraying properly.

Mods? Go with your gut.

If you want nice medium tone exhaust with a rumble, I've found that an 18" glass pack behind the rear dif works well and remove the resonator. Cheap at any muffler shop. If you want throaty, put a "turbo" muffler midway about where the resonator is and straight pipe from there.

Interior is easy. Crutchfield for your audio. I got a DD Clarion, 2 sets of Polk component speakers, 8" Kicker, Sound Ordnance amp and all cables necessary for $660 with shipping. 2 days spent with the interior apart and rewiring the system in the car to replace the expensive McIntosh that quit putting out sound and it sounds like a concert hall. MushroomHead sounds really good. (Anyone want a couple Mc head units and an Mc amp, let me know. There are still a few stereo shops around that rebuild them.)

Be careful with suspension. There are limits you need to watch for to keep it handling correctly. This AWD is not like any other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing