Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 & 2002 Legacy Outback auto
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time Honda guy here. Found out I will be starting a family in Feb and I cant stand the idea of a minivan or suv. I figured an awd wagon would best suit my needs. Really couldnt afford a decent BMW or Audi. That left a Subaru. So I am picking up a 99 Outback auto. Really wanted a manual, but they are few in the central OH area. Bring on the white frozen liquid death from above!
So far I know it has the speedo connector issue, great to see thats an easy fix.

Any other major issues I should be aware of? I know head gaskets and t-belts are weak on some of these...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just got my first Subaru a little over a week ago and my other car is a Honda. I asked the same thing when I got the car and people just pointed out the head gasket. I got an '05 with 59K miles on it so I hope to go some time before anything pops up. My other car is a '96 Accord with 200K miles, so I have enough to deal with that car. It's a V6 so new plugs, wires, and distributor cap just cost us close to $400. Good luck with your new car.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Head gaskets are pretty much the problem on a '99. Timing belts aren't an issue as long as you adhere to the replacement schedule: 105k miles or 105 months, whichever comes first. It's a good idea to replace the idler pulleys, tensioner & water pump at the same time as well. Re-sealing the oil pump is also good insurance when you have that access. The weakest link is the human who forgets to do it in time.

Sadly the head gaskets aren't like that. They really are a weak point on those engines. I'm pretty sure the '99 is the phase I DOHC engine, which commonly leaks compression into coolant. Lots of other threads on this board for detection, troubleshooting, and repair methods. It is fixable, but unfortunately it's likely you'll need the fix at some point.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got my first Subaru a little over a week ago and my other car is a Honda. I asked the same thing when I got the car and people just pointed out the head gasket. I got an '05 with 59K miles on it so I hope to go some time before anything pops up. My other car is a '96 Accord with 200K miles, so I have enough to deal with that car. It's a V6 so new plugs, wires, and distributor cap just cost us close to $400. Good luck with your new car.
HA! my other car is a 96 Accord V6!

OUBob, you went to school at Norman?
I did not. However I do have a mancrush on a current college quarterback FROM Norman...

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited
3 Posts
First time Subaru owner

Just purchased a 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 2.5 DOHC 5spd manual. It has 200kmiles and is rough around the edges but body and interior are complete and sound. I am in need of some help. Original head gaskets in place and I believe original timing belt. :gasp: Ok so I'm thinking of just going with a short block from SSI and having my heads ported by....:confused: Still looking on that. So funds are the trouble like most hobbies. Fortunatly this isn't my daily driver. Any thoughts from you experienced hands on cats out thre would be appreciated.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me guess what color it is...gold. I think 95% of the Accords from around that year were that goldish color.

Its actually black. That gold sold like hotcakes though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts