Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6spdMT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did about 400 miles this weekend with some friends. It was 5 of us all loaded in the OB with a full load in the back (incl a huge picnic, blankets, tarp, air mattress, camera equipment, etc).

We went from Southern Maryland (Lexington Park area) up to Great Falls, VA, the wagon handled everything like a champ, from traffic to the windy roads out to great falls. I was riding it a little hard, especially on the windy roads and only managed about 25 MPG; but not bad considering a full load and traffic.

After Great Falls we headed north to the Frederick area (more traffic!!) for the evening, and again, the car performed great, comfy for all 5 of us and all our stuff.

The next morning we put it through it's paces going about 80 mph down some windy country roads with, still, a full load, and some scared passengers who weren't sure if we were going to survive the next curve. :D Even got one scream out of the rear middle passenger who had an excellent view of only sky and trees as we catapulted over a hill.

The tires could've held a little tighter, I was afraid to push a few of the curves, but the car itself felt solid the whole way with minimal roll. Certainly less scary than when I would hit those roads in my dinky Kia Sephia.

Let one of the crew drive who is just learning to drive manual, she did fairly well until we got to one nasty hill with a stop sign and a right turn at the top. Luckily after rolling back about 50 ft and almost smacking into a guard rail she decided to stop the car and I took over to get us moving forward again. Hill assist is OK, but I think I prefer the old fashioned method of being able to properly drive stick.

The trip back was OK, the beltway was stopped so we ended up driving through DC. Again, the wagon performed spectacularly with some aggressive city maneuvering, even if it was tough to see out the back with all our stuff.

Overall trip MPG was about 24.6 according to the guesser built into the car. I was hoping it would be a little higher, since there was a fair amount of highway cruising. But with traffic and some abuse on back roads and in DC I'm not disappointed.

The one complaint I do have is that... of course, the car is about 3 weeks old now and on the VA side of the beltway I heard a nice *ping* and now I have a small round divet in my windsheild :rolleyes: It sounded like it was a sizeable rock and the windshield did take it well... but at the same time, ****!!! Luckily it's on the passenger side so it won't constantly bug me.

I'll try to post some pictures; it was such a packed trip that I'm not 100% sure if we actually got many worth posting. The whole trip was beautiful though...

p.s.
The amount of leg-room for the rear seats is amazing! As well as the cargo capacity :)

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I've found the OB handles better packed with weight vs when its empty regarding twisty road fun. Just a little warning.

The Ob handles horribly compared to the Legacy by the way. We have both and the Legacy feels like a Indy car compared to the OB. OB handling is sort of like a cross between a car and a full size Landcruiser its OK but not really a canyon carver.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6spdMT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've found the OB handles better packed with weight vs when its empty regarding twisty road fun. Just a little warning.

The Ob handles horribly compared to the Legacy by the way. We have both and the Legacy feels like a Indy car compared to the OB. OB handling is sort of like a cross between a car and a full size Landcruiser its OK but not really a canyon carver.

Agreed, it certainly didn't zip through the curves like my miata. But it felt solid enough and for me the real key is just being fun to drive around, which it is :D

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited W/Eyesight
32 Posts
Sounds like you guys had a blast! Love to hear stories like this.....just hit the road and "Que sera, sera!". I've had my 2013 OB 3.6 for nine months and my odometer just hit 20K miles. I'm talking about 20,000 hard-core miles. Hills, snow, fully loaded, trailer, fairly aggressive off-roading, torrential rains, elevations up to 3,000 feet........man, I've thrown just about all I could think of at this car and it's performed much, much better than expected. Of course with this type of abuse my fuel mileage has been crap. I tend to forget it's not a Jeep Rubicon! My only gripe with the car is due to my own carelessness as I was in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey in 10 inches of mud and scratched my rims a bit. They now look like someone took a rotary sander to them but I'm still a happy camper. My last trip to Black Moshannon State Park (Elevation 3K Feet) was no match for this car. Climbed those hills like they weren't even there. My friends brand new Nissan Murano didn't fare so well. Struggled every inch up-hill and was not able to conquer even the easiest snowy trail. We spent a week at Black Moshannon and his Murano was parked until it was time to go home. In a word......"Outstanding"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts