Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan, 2.5L
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Photo attached. Short of replacing the mirror itself, has anyone been able to salvage a rear view mirror which is essentially unusable from turning dark? I would have been happy with a fully functional, no-frills mirror!

Attachments

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Cannot repair. Only replace.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
I have a simple non-dimming mirror from a base model Outback, if you would like to replace it with that. Let me know.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
Unfortunately, that was a fairly common issue with the early Donnelly-made auto dimming mirrors. Once the LC ruptures, it's done.

There are a few options, both direct-replacement or upgrade. I've got my upgrade kits (in a link in my signature), or you can get the cam-lock to wedge base adapter and run a standard, non-auto-dimming mirror from any junkyard option.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Performance Suby, I'll probably check the local Pick-A-Part first rather than risk breakage through shipping. RoughDiamond, no offense, but the upgrade kits you offer are a bit too pricey for a Subaru that might find its way into its own Pick-A-Part parking spot soon!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed my issue for $60...bought an HD Mirror Cam. Slapped that bad boy over my existing mirror, problem solved! Now I have a larger mirror with the added bonus of reviewing and watching over-and-over all of the ignorance and stupidity which happens in front of my car on a daily basis!

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 2.5L EJ251 engine, 193K miles
27 Posts
Hit your local pull a part and replace it with an OEM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts