Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I.m new to the forem. as I stare at my 98 outback with 249K miles with bubbles in the radiator. I am unable to decide to fix it or scrap it. Its worth $100 bucks for scrap and maybe double if it ran. If I fix it, I'm doing it as cheap as possible. Can anyone help me decide? Mike

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,318 Posts
plenty of rust free EJ25D powered cars land in the junk yard from head gaskets. (worst engine the company ever made).

249,000 is a lot of miles if all the parts are only half good too.

we have this thread at the top of the 95-99 section for people that want to put a great engine in those cars though.
just have to find the right EJ22 that drops in, (like out of a 1995 automatic)

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...248329-ej22-swap-into-ej25d-dohc-vehicle.html

but if what you got has rust, or just a pile of worn parts, ...and you don't like driving the car anymore, ....just dump it, and move on to something else.

____

2 simple things that make for bubbles though: aftermarket thermostats, and aftermarket rad caps. ($20-30 to replace the pair with OEM subaru stuff).

Reactions: miker104

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eagle-eye, Yep it's a rusty junker from Boston. I am pulling the engine for giggles. I have the intake about off except The egr pipe nut is not cooperating but I'm soaking it. We were running with out the thermostat with the radiator cap loose for a few months but it kept on bubbling worse and worse and over heating till finally we parked it. It does have a new time belt and pulleys and things.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,318 Posts
$100 ? is all the scrappers will give you?

the only other thing I can think to do with it:

get a EJ22 legacy of 1995-99 and pull the bigger ABS brakes, rims/ tires, off the outback.
(and whatever else is nice,...and toss the rest).

problem with looking for another outback of the period: if its for sale it probably is just as bad or worse then what you got. (...like they put some quart jug of miracle clogging stop leak in it,...with plans to sell it to some sucker, ...or drive it to the scrapper).

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
rust = no, move on. your time and energy and finances will work out better if you just concentrate on making a good decision for the future rather than limping this rusty bucket along.

get it running, remove the tstat, keep filling it with water, use a vent-release type cap so you can refill easier and only drive it as necessary, limit long trips, dnot' run the A/C, turn the thing off when coasting long distances (probably never in boston) or idling, so that you can have a daily driver while you find a car that is worth putting any money into.

if you did repair it definitely go with an EJ18 or EJ22 swap - you can find those for cheaper than the parts to repair an EJ25D. i've bought EJ18's and EJ22's for $150 before, that's a little harder to do now than it was years ago but it's worth trying over repairing that terrible engine.

all your timing components, water pump, and oil pump will all swap over to the EJ18 and EJ22 - just not the belt itself. buy a cheap $20 belt on ebay if needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. It's too rusty bolts are breaking off. It's on cl in Chattanooga for parts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts