Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - My AC in my 2005 Outback stoped working. I checked the fuses and relay. The fan comes on when I push the AC button, and I hear a click when it's turned on/off.

I figure it's most likely in need of a recharge. And it's an old car so it possibly has a leak.

My questions:
  • Is there a specific product that is best to use to recharge the AC for this car?
  • Is there any risk to trying to do this myself? I've looked at youtube videos (not specific for type of car) and it looks relatively simple,
  • Is there anything else I can do to troubeshoot this issue?
Thanks
Tom

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,315 Posts
Have the system evacuated by a shop, or spend about $400 on the mini machine to do it. Then get an AC seal kit from your local part store. It will have the schroeder valves and some seals in it. You want the valves and a couple of the seals. Change the valves in the service ports. Change the o-ring seals on both lines on the compressor and the one at the top of the condenser at the end of the short hose/line. Then take it down and have it recharged at the same place you had it evacuated.

DO NOT use a can of refrigerant with a sealer or stop leak. It will screw up your AC system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts