Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Touring Diesel 5MT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a terrible scraping noise the last couple of days, so I decided to check underneath my car. After driving up on the curb I saw that the front right CV axle boot was torn. I know this is a common issue on boxer engine cars, but I was really hoping that it was just a brake shield or something.

Is it okay to just replace the rubber boot, or do I need to swap the whole axle? I'm not planning to do it myself, since I am a novice at best, but I'm just wondering what the price is going to be.

(The left one looked fine, altough I didn't get a good look at it)

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
482 Posts
Since it's been making noise, that joint will need to be rebuilt if you decide to reboot it. Aftermarket axles can cause vibrations. If you are paying someone to do it. The labor charge for rebuilding the axle probably wouldnt be worth it. Best to get an OEM remaned one from subaru. They are pricy though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since it's been making noise, that joint will need to be rebuilt if you decide to reboot it. Aftermarket axles can cause vibrations. If you are paying someone to do it. The labor charge for rebuilding the axle probably wouldnt be worth it. Best to get an OEM remaned one from subaru. They are pricy though.
Thanks for the reply, I'll speak with my mechanic about it. I wouldn't worry about them using an aftermarket axle since I have strong consumer laws in my country, and they would just have to replace it all the time. I'll update this when my car has been mended.

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT 5 speed
37 Posts
Don't use an aftermarket axle...not worth the repeated trouble of replacing it and you will have a tough time proving it's causing the inevitable vibration issues without replacing it with an OEM axle to prove it. It's the aftermarket CV joint, not the boot, that will be the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't use an aftermarket axle...not worth the repeated trouble of replacing it and you will have a tough time proving it's causing the inevitable vibration issues without replacing it with an OEM axle to prove it. It's the aftermarket CV joint, not the boot, that will be the problem.
They're that bad? Jeez. I'll get an OEM one then, and possibly replace both since the car has done 176000km (109000 miles).

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
974 Posts
The scraping noise is unlikely to be coming from the inner CV joint (but please have this confirmed by your mechanic)

If the noise is not from the CV joint, then get the boot replaced and the joint cleaned and regreased and it will last another 100,000 miles.

Seagrass

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The scraping noise is unlikely to be coming from the inner CV joint (but please have this confirmed by your mechanic)

If the noise is not from the CV joint, then get the boot replaced and the joint cleaned and regreased and it will last another 100,000 miles.

Seagrass
The noise actually came from the inner CV joint (this was confirmed by my mechanic). Replacing it got rid off the noise. Only thing I have to do now is to pay up ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts