Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is not really a FIX but a labor intensive work-around.

Since the most recent discussion is over 4 years old I started a new one.

My car is a 2020 Outback Onyx XT with the new Denso/Clarion/QNX Infotainment System.

It seems that every car I had rented prior to buying the Onyx ST also would play MP3 files in alphabetical order and not in the track sequence order. This would play live concerts out of sequence, it would play classical music with multiple variations of the same piece out of sequence and it would play spoken messages that were divided into chapters out of sequence. This seems to be common in the entire industry.

I decided to edit the file property field called 'Title' on my Windows PC by copying the file name such as "01 First Song" and pasting it into the Title field of the property window of the file.

I connected the USB Drive back into the port of the car and the tracks now showed up in track order and played in the correct sequence.

This is a tedious process but it works. It would seem that the designers of infotainment systems neglect the property field called "#" in the track meta-data that contains the correct track number when a CD is ripped to a computer.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited, Venetian Red Pearl
96 Posts
I might be the anomaly here but I always add the track number to the track title (I like listening to entire albums). This can be done in bulk using tagging software. I highly recommend MP3Tag as it has lots of features, including copying the "#" field to the track title field. It's super annoying that we have to edit our music collections just to play songs in a specific order in our cars.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys! I was hoping there was something that automated the process. This is a real time saver.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might be the anomaly here but I always add the track number to the track title (I like listening to entire albums). This can be done in bulk using tagging software. I highly recommend MP3Tag as it has lots of features, including copying the "#" field to the track title field. It's super annoying that we have to edit our music collections just to play songs in a specific order in our cars.
Nope, not an anomaly you are original normal.

Those of us who played vinyl played one side of a disc and heard each track in sequence.
We were trained how to listen to recorded music in production sequence.

Those of us who attended live concerts that were recorded wish to repeat the experience and hear the recorded concert as it was played with the segues from song to song as they happened in the original concert.

Those of us who have paid for tutorial CDs, books on CD and instruction CDs wish to hear the progression of lessons and talks in the order the author had intended.

No you are not an anomaly you are normal, the Infotainment Industry is the anomaly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've never been accused of being normal, but thanks! I also add the year of release to all my album titles and show details (venue name, location, full date) to all my boot-, er, live music albums.

I get mildly annoyed if my albums play out of order so I can't imagine a lecture or audiobook like that. I'd probably have a conniption fit.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
It is ridiculous that the Subaru USB reader forces all the songs into lexicographical ordering. 'manually' adding a prefix to correct for this silly problem is indeed a workaround.... it is not feasible when one has THOUSANDS of songs to deal with.

I still contend that many Pink Floyd albums (such as "The Wall") are nearly unlistenable when pinky "Tears down the Wall" before even building it. Or "The Trial" happens before the listener even knows why a trial is taking place.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You can import all your song files into mp3tag and have it add the track number to the title in bulk. It will restart at 01 for each album.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts