Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport for my first car. The car is in fantastic condition and is in better condition then all the other cars i've looked at in my price range. But, the only problem I have is that all the key holes are sticking. I'm getting the ignition key hole replaced tomorrow but the doors and trunk key holes stick to. Is there a way I can lubricate it or clean it to make them move?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
841 Posts
I just bought a 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport for my first car. The car is in fantastic condition and is in better condition then all the other cars i've looked at in my price range. But, the only problem I have is that all the key holes are sticking. I'm getting the ignition key hole replaced tomorrow but the door and truck key holes stick to. Is there a way I can lubricate it or clean it to make them move?
I was having trouble with a sticking padlock one day, so I called my employer's locksmith. He gave it a shot of Tri-flow, which fixed it right up. Since then, I have used it on many locks, including car locks, and it always does the job.

But, since multiple locks are having the problem, I would suspect a worn key. I doubt all of the locks are sticking from lack of lubrication. You might want to ask the dealer if they can get you a new key, or try a spare if you have one.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,102 Posts
I'd probably try to squirt a little silicone lube spray into them. Then spray your key and insert and operate the lock. Do that a coupla more times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was having trouble with a sticking padlock one day, so I called my employer's locksmith. He gave it a shot of Tri-flow, which fixed it right up. Since then, I have used it on many locks, including car locks, and it always does the job.

But, since multiple locks are having the problem, I would suspect a worn key. I doubt all of the locks are sticking from lack of lubrication. You might want to ask the dealer if they can get you a new key, or try a spare if you have one.
You are right in the worn key. The backup key is in a lot better shape but the key locks still stick. I was gonna try shooting some PB in there or something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guy for helping me out. I sprayed some PB and it made it a little more free'er but I think the black key worn down to much to use. The back up gold one works better.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
178 Posts
There is a lube out there made just for keys. I think it's called Lock ease or something like that. It has graphite in a light oil. When the oil goes away the graphite is lrft behind as the lubricant. If I was at home I could get the actual name. Most hardware stores catty it.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,102 Posts
my concern with PB blaster is, it may wash away lubricant.

find something like triflo or silicone and follow up with it.

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Locks should always be lubed with a dry graphite lube. Any kind of oily substance will pickup dirt and hold it eventually gumming up the lock. Try spraying them out with brake parts cleaner. Then use the graphite lube. If that doesn't get it working, you can pull the locks and have the worn tumblers replaced.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Locks should always be lubed with a dry graphite lube. Any kind of oily substance will pickup dirt and hold it eventually gumming up the lock. Try spraying them out with brake parts cleaner. Then use the graphite lube. If that doesn't get it working, you can pull the locks and have the worn tumblers replaced.
Bingo. Never ever use a lubricant that will attract dirt and dust. PB makes a graphite spray that works pretty well. I put a tiny bit in the three outside cylinders on my Outback once every year or so to keep them working...especially since I never actually use them because of the keyless entry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is true. But when you pull your key out of the lock, it closes automatically so ! would figure it would be pretty hard to get dirt in there. I know some particles would enter but it wouldn't be a lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts