Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the car, put it into reverse, released the parking brake, backed out of the driveway, put it into drive, and noticed the brake light flashing.

I put it back into park, engaged the parking brake and released it. Problem cleared.

I wasn't able to recreate the error, so I think the only thing to do is keep an eye on things.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did it again this morning.

Backed out of the garage and parked it in the driveway so I could move the trash cans out to the curb. Started it again, backed out of the driveway, started to drive, and saw the BRAKE flashing. Stopped, cycled the e-brake, and that cleared it.

The manual is interesting. It implies there are times the flashing BRAKE is normal, but doesn't really explain the "why" very well:

>>>
Even if the brake system warning light flashes, if the warning light behavior is as described in the following examples, the electronic parking brake system is not malfunctioning.

The warning light turns off when the electronic parking brake is applied or released.
<<<

This comes right after it says a flashing BRAKE light indicates a possible problem with the e-brake:

>>>
If the brake system warning light flashes, the electronic parking brake system may be malfunctioning.
<<<

Then it goes on to say the BRAKE light might flash at other times, but doesn't really explain why. It does seem to imply that if it clears after operating the parking brake, then there is nothing wrong.

>>>
The brake system warning light may flash immediately after the engine is started. However, it is not malfunctioning if the warning light turns off after the electronic parking brake is released.

The brake system warning light may flash after the electronic parking brake is frequently applied and released. However, the electronic parking brake system is not malfunctioning if the light turns off for a short period of time.
<<<

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Happened again this afternoon.

I'm thinking there is some kind of sensor that determines that the e-brake is completely released.

The symptom occurs when I release the brake and drive. I've normally stopped, engaged the brake so the "BRAKE" light goes steady, then released the brake and it goes off and stays off.

This afternoon I was in a parking lot. The BRAKE light started flashing, so I turned off the ignition and turned it back on but left the brake alone. The light started flashing again. I engaged the brake and then released it and the light went out.

Time to get it looked at.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow-up:

My first post was 31 July, it's now 12 Sep, about 6 weeks later.

The problem eventually got worse.

Used to happen very rarely, maybe once a week. Then a couple times a week, then once a day, then several times a day. Finally, it got to the point where I would have to cycle the brake 3-4 times before the "BRAKE" would stop flashing and turn off and this would happen about every other time I used the brake.

The symptom was always the same: Release the brake, hear the brake motor release, see the "BRAKE" light turn off, wait a second or two and then see the "BRAKE" light start flashing. Engage the brake, hear the motor spin, feel that the brake had engaged, see the "BRAKE" light go solid. Release the brake, hear the motor spin, see the "BRAKE" light go off and stay off.

I'm sure the brake was actually releasing, but the brake system just didn't seem to recognize it.

Then the other day I cycled the brake 5-6 times and the "BRAKE" light flashed whether the brake was engaged or not. I turned off the ignition, removed the key, replaced the key, and was able to clear the error. After that I stopped using the parking brake and made an appointment with my dealer.

Dealer checked it out for me today. Internal codes indicated the parking brake controller had failed and needed to be replaced. I started seeing dollar signs floating out the door, but the service manager said, "You've been a good customer of ours, you've had all your service done here and we appreciate it. We have some discretion for customer appreciation and goodwill, so I'm going to replace it for you at our expense." With parts, labor, and tax, that will save me around $980 US. Part is on order, should get the repairs done either next week or the week after.

Sometimes things happen, and sometimes they happen in a good way.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the replacement brake module installed yesterday - no charge. Dealer loaned me a 2018 Legacy Sport with all the bells and whistles. Only problem with it was the driver's side window. It had an optical abberration, just above the side-view mirror. Every time I'd make a left turn my vision would get all wavy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts