Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey hi how yall doin. First, some background info.. Yesterday, my dad checked the transmission fluid for the first time (not knowing you had to cycle through gears first) and it did not register. So we put half a quart of ATF in and then noticed a transmission leak. I googled to find out it was because we over filled it. It is still dripping right now from 7PM yesterday.. is that normal? Today driving around town I noticed when you stop at a stop sign, then make a sharp turn it slips into neutral as you accelerate but then kicks back. It's happened 5 or 6 times just today. Now, Another problem. I just got done washing the car when I turned it on to see a flashing check engine light. I found out that could mean a misfire. We just replaced the plugs with XXXXX 2 days ago. Did we mess them up maybe? It doesn't sound to have a misfire at idle or rev. the plug wires are not OEM but have been there since past owner. I dont know if any of these problems are related but if you can help me with any of them, please do. 2000 Subaru Outback Legacy with 146k.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,100 Posts
was the car idling when you checked the fluid? the stick on the left? (right side dipstick is the front diff and uses GL-5)

I usually pull the stick, wipe it and set it aside. Start the car and move through each gear for 10 seconds, then back to park. Then Check the fluid with the car idling. If the car is at operating temp, use the hot line. A little fluid makes a big difference so, maybe a half-pint to a pint at a time if it's low. Use Dexron II or compatible (DEx 6 or Valvoline Dex/Merc or Subaru ATF-HP)

generally, OEM plug wires are preferred but if they were working before the wash, and failing now, i dunno. Did you wash the engine?

get the CEL code read.(if possible, borrow a scanner) make a note of the code(s) and clear the code. Monitor how quickly it returns. If it comes back and is flashing - try not to drive the car.

post your city in case someone needs to recommend a mechanic for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the car was off. We got an incorrect reading because we did not cycle gears I believe. After we added the fluid, we learned you were supposed to do that. I can't actually find the front differential dipstick? But the one I put ATF in was yellow and says add ATF. I plan on getting a code read tomorrow and I will let you know. I covered up the alternator and de greased/sprayed the underside of the Hood but did not wash the actual engine. Also I believe this was after the light came on. I'm near Winchester VA but we do most all our work ad If we don't, we already have a shop in town. Thanks though

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good news! While making small talk with the guy who claimed to be a Subaru fanatic at advanced auto, (he was reading code) I mentioned to him that I found a green male and female wiring harnesses that were un-attached under the driver side earlier that day that I had connected out of curiosity. Turns out that enters it into a programable mode for aftermarket Cobb items (and for the dealer). He dis-connected it and the check engine light went off!, success!:29: I asked him about the transmission going into neutral during a turn and he recommends emptying all the fluid out then putting the correct amount back in. Thanks for the prompt response, this is an excellent forum.
-Josh

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More confusion! So our transmission was actually Leaking from the filter. it was not even hand tight.. It just so happened that the leak started coincidentally when we added 1/2 a quart which made us think it was the overflow. Other than burning up the clutch all today driving it, we should be fine. we had to add 2+ quarts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts