Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5 Premium w/6 spd CVT
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brake light, check engine and traction control light stay lit. Brake and Cruise control flash.
Any ideas? Gas cap is closed and the seal is fine.

Cruise control wont work with.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
9 out of 10 times it's the gas cap but you have already been there. It might be a good idea to get the code read at this point. Most autozones do it for free along with others. Another option is to disconnect the battery which will reset the lights. Maybe the problem will never return and if it does get the code read at that time.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
Do a search using the term "flashing dash". There are LOTS of threads and posts on this issue over the years, including some this month.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
A failing alternator will cause the symptoms you are describing. Have it tested while you are at the auto parts store having the codes read. Eliminate the alternator before you start buying any other parts or have any other service done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Subaru doesnt believe that a check engine light is enough, so they disable your cruise control and light up your dash like a christmas tree.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Brake light, check engine and traction control light stay lit. Brake and Cruise control flash.
Any ideas? Gas cap is closed and the seal is fine.

Cruise control wont work with.
I had the dreaded xmas tree on my '12. I was on the road, and stopped in at a dealer. They diagnosed a leak in the evaporative system, even though the fuel cap was tight. They replace the gas cap, which had a different colored O ring seal than the original. That was over 17k ago......No recurrence.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,072 Posts
Subaru doesnt believe that a check engine light is enough, so they disable your cruise control and light up your dash like a christmas tree.
Lighting up the dash like a Christmas tree may be unique to Subaru but I'm pretty sure disabling the cruise is not. It's kind of an encouragement to get the issue looked at.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I take several trips from new york to north carolina several times a year to visit family. It's a 13 hour trip. I use the cruise control for the last several hours. Thats the only time I ever use it. My last outback an 05 llbean would throw a cel after 8 to 10 hours of driving right when I needed my cruise control the mostl. The cels varied from low oil flow, cam shaft position to a p1844 cel. I always lost my cruise control and the cel would be clear before I was able to make it to the dealer r. Disabling the cruise control did nothing other make my car a 30000 car that doesnt have cruise control. Disabling cruise control for a faulty gas cap or evaporative system is rediculous.I ended up buying a scangauge 2 to reset my cel so that i could continue on my trip with cruisecontrol until I was able to go to the dealer to have the car checked out.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Limited
12 Posts
I had CEL problems for a couple of weeks after I got my 2012 OB. The dealer opened a ticket with SOA, and they had the dealer disconnect the main wiring harness and reconnect it. The used some dielectric grease to make sure the connections were good too. I have not had a CEL problem since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got this same set of lights in my 2010 Outback Ltd Wagon. Problem was intermitent and a "stop/reset" only turned out the lights temporarily. Turned out, in my case, that the issue was a failing cam shaft sensor. This is an inexpensive repair that saved me a lot of grief.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts