Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 subaru outback. 2.5l
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a flashing engine light. When I got the car from my friend I was looking under the dash. I found a disconnected green wire. When I hooked these 2 wires up the engine light started to flash. I noticed even know the engine light flashes I get better gas milage and the electrical works better. I hooked a code machine to the car.Its gives me 11 diffrent codes, but the car runs great.
Could i have a bad computer?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
The green connectors are for factory and dealer service tests, and they are meant to be left disconnected during normal operation.

Pull the plug.

Can you post more details about mileage and "electrical works better?" We might be able to help out.

·
Registered
2000 subaru outback. 2.5l
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. This forum is great for the shade tree machanic

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,317 Posts
Flashing light usually indicates a misfire is happening for whatever reason.

Post the codes. They may have popped up because you had the test connectors plugged together. Maybe not.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
47 Posts
Ha ha!

Just this very evening I noticed two green plugs at the margin of the carpet under the glove box of my 2008 Outback...I plugged them together, although I didn't think any accessory on the car was not working.

I started it up and the check engine light started flashing...disconnected them and it still flashed. However, the engine was still running when I disconnected them. After turning the engine off and then restarting, the check engine light was back off to the normal condition.

Ran upstairs and looked it up in the service manual and lo and behold, it was a test connector for diagnostics! LOL

I left it unplugged and tucked it back under the rug where it was supposed to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts