Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all,
  1. 2012 OB 2.5 non turbo 141.000 miles. On my cluster, I have the Check Engine Light solid, Brake Light blinking, Cruise Control blinking, and the snti slip/traction control light, along with my temp gauge flashing blue to red, red to blue non stop. After driving for quite some time, I started to leak anti freeze, from the reservoir.....and I noticed that my AC at one point, would not blow cold, car was running fine, nothing major, smooth sailing no noises or unusual sounds...just the flashing lights.....yet next morning, lights out. Ac blowing cold, however sat in garage without driving due to the cercumstances with shelter in place orders, has anybody had this experience before?? Please enlighten me, thanks in advance!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,345 Posts
Not gonna sugar coat it.

The car ran hot and was trying to get your attention. The AC shut off was due to the overheating. The computer shuts it down to reduce engine load and remove a source of heat from in front of the radiator. It was trying to cool the car down.

You will need to first check the coolant level with the engine cold. The level in the radiator, not the reservoir. You will probably find it is substantially low.

You may also want to check it for a head gasket breach. You have a 253 engine with single layer head gaskets and it doesn't take multiple overheating situations to create a breach. Since you continued to drive it after the temp lights were flashing, your probability for a HG breach is higher. If the head gasket(s) are breached and you decide to repair it, make sure to use head gaskets for an EJ255.

If you eliminate a breach occurred, the next step is change the thermostat and coolant. Check flow through the radiator while the coolant is out. Use one from Subaru or get a Mahle, Beck Arnley or XAct stat. Rock Auto has good prices on the stats. DO NOT use any other aftermarket thermostat. May as well get a new radiator cap as well; from Subaru.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,345 Posts
I'll add that this would also be a good time to replace the radiator and heater hoses. The heater hoses are molded a specific way. You may find them through part stores, but unlikely. Subaru has the pair at a relatively low cost. New clamps while your at it if you choose to replace hoses.

Sometimes the radiator hoses sold at the part stores will not fit exactly. I know Gates hoses tend to be formed wrong and the length is either too long or too short.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts