Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just received my Flatout GRLite coilovers. These coilovers have a built in 2" lift so there is no need to use lift spacers.

Initial impression is that the built quality is very good.

I am hoping to install the coilovers in the next week or two. I am still waiting for a bunch of bushings from Perrin.

These will go on a 2020 Outback XT with 18x8 +35offset Centerline Pangea wheels on 245/60/18 Falken Wildpeak

My other Subaru is a 2012 Lifted Legacy GT

Will continue to update this post once the coilovers are installed. Stay tuned....

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
7 Posts
Rpmk104,

Bump--I've been debating between this suspension setup and Ironman 4x4. Please keep us posted on your install and impresssions.

V/r
Nomadic

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,791 Posts
Those look unique.
Can you explain the purpose of the separate flat wire spring below the coil spring?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The helper spring keeps the spring from coming loose on the spring perch at full extension if you ever decide to lower the right height with the coilovers instead of lifting it.

The helper springs are fully compressed when all four wheels are on the ground.

After consulting with Flatoutsuspension, I decided to remove the helper springs from the coilovers since I am never going use the coilovers to lower the outback.

I have already installed the coilovers, everything went in correct without an issue. I am still in the process of setting the ride height. You can easily get 2" lift from these coilovers. I am confident I can squeeze another half inch lift on the coilovers with some adjustment on the spring perch and the lower perch.

Initial impression on the ride is that it slightly firmer than stock at full soft rebound (20 clicks of adjustment). The ride is definitely sportier with better body control. Cornering and steering responses is much improved.

So far I am impressed.

I will add more pictures over the weekend once I get the alignment done.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Picture of the front coilovers right before install. I got the ISC neoprene coilover covers to protect the shock from dirt and grime from the road. Picture still shows the helper springs, I have remove them for the final install.

Front coilover installed.

Rear coilover compared to the stock suspension. There is still a ton of height adjustment via the lower perch and the spring perch. I set the initial length to roughly 2" longer than stock.

The rear coilover installed. I added the rallitek rear subframe spacers to bring the rear suspension geometry back to spec.

Sneak peak of the front coilover initial ride height. Approximately sitting at 1.5 inches lift from stock. I have since made additional adjustments and now it is sitting at 2 inches lift from stock.
Wheels are Centerline Pangea 18x8 35 offset with Falken Widepeak trail 245/60/18.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also sourced a dust boot from energy suspension that seals the camber plate pillow ball bearing from the elements. This is usually a weak spot for aftermarket coilovers...especially when dealing with road salt during winter months.

I covered the lower pillow ball bearing with marine grade synthetic grease and reassembled the coilover with the dust boot.

before

after

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,198 Posts
If you set the spring perch all the way down would it be OEM height? I guess what I'm asking is whether or not these could be used for stock height application?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes you can definitely set them to oem height. There is a lot of adjustability on these coilovers.

You can customize the spring rates too. I went with 225 lb/inch for the front spring and 300 lb/inch for the rear since I plan on carrying up to four mountain bikes on a rear hitch rack.

The coilovers come with magnitude suspension springs. Never used them before but seems like a decent spring that is made in the USA. I believe you can upgrade to swift spring or hyperco springs for an additional cost.

I can't comment on the durability of the coilovers but they do come with a 3 year warranty which is pretty decent for aftermarket coilovers.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,198 Posts
If you don't mind I'm going to link to your thread in my "stock height suspension" thread just for completeness because so far this is the only stock height aftermarket shock available - I was waiting for Bilstein but it may take years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure, no problems.

Below is the direct link to the flat-out suspension website.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I snapped a quick picture of how the car is currently sitting. I think I will increase the height by 0.5 inches in the rear. Getting close to the ride height that I want.

picture of before:

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,198 Posts
I don't know much about coilovers but it looks like these have built in camber plates - I'm curious how to know where to set it, and if you still have those eccentric bolts at the bottom?

If you take it to an alignment shop do they adjust camber from the bolts at the bottom or at the top? Or is the top plate to adjust caster?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi, i'll take some pictures tomorrow. I rotated the camber plates so that it will add both caster and negative camber. I am basically using the camber plates to adjust for caster and use the OEM camber bolt at the knuckle to adjust for camber.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the alignment and final height adjustment. The shop was able to lift the front another 0.5 inch and the rear another inch.

The camber, caster, toe, etc were all within spec after the alignment. I asked the shop to adjust for zero toe all around with -1 degree camber in the front and max positive caster. The rear camber cannot be adjusted with the stock LCA. Will have to go with an aftermarket rear LCA to dial in the camber.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
35 Posts
That's very exciting and I think much better lift option than any other kits available. Can't wait for long term review and impressions.
Can you also link to LCA once you get it? Did you ended up not using neoprene coilover covers ?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i WGM
150 Posts
How did you set up access to the rebound adjustment knob for the rear shocks? Did you make an access port in the cargo area panels?
I would like to replace the rear shocks, and run at stock ride height, just to get control of rebound damping when the car is fully loaded. Maybe slightly above the stock rear spring rate of 190lbs/in, but not a big step. I like the way Flatout lets you select a spring rate, and also says "you can rebuild these yourself".

Solved: Gen 5 stock rear spring rate

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,198 Posts
@Rymar I'm assuming that the flatout also has increased compression damping compared to stock, so if what you want is greater rebound control, wouldn't a Bilstein B6 for Gen 5 do that for your 2019 at a much lower price? Will work with stock springs or higher rate springs. Gen 6 Outbacks have no Bilsteins available.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i WGM
150 Posts
I was really looking for a shock which allows adjustment of rebound damping, from stock (car empty or moderate load) to maybe 50% more (car fully loaded). Plus, coil-overs are adjustable as the units age, or if towing a trailer, for example.

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the B6 is a fixed (non-adjustable) shock.

I'm happy with the stock tuning as a compromise between ride and handling, but noticed on a recent trip that with a full load of stuff and a bike rack on the rear hitch, that the car really floats on rebound. It seems like just getting a fixed shock with higher rebound damping is going to make the ride harsher under most conditions.

Plus, the Flatout stuff just looks really cool. I bet they would let me spec stock compression damping rates as well as stock spring rates. It seems like they build units to order from the lead times.

Now if someone just made a rear shock with electronically controllable 2-way adjustment...

Yes, the B6 would make more sense from a cost standpoint. No question.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts