Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Houston and due to Harvey our garage flooded last week with our 2016 Outback in there. Water got about 14-15 inches high in the garage and stayed at that level for several hours, maybe up to 6... No water got into the passenger area but I am sort of worried about what could be damaged with the car sitting in such water height for this long. I think no crucial electronics were submerged, but what about other mechanical parts such as differential, brakes, etc? Our house is still inaccessible so I won't be able to take the car to be checked out for another week or so, but I was able to take these pictures a few days ago. What do you think I should expect?

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White w/black
105 Posts
Potentially no damage. Check diffs and CVT for water. Drive. Go from there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, Outbacks are regularly taken through high water by adventurous owners. However, they don't normally stand in it for long periods of time. I find it impressive that no water seeped into the passenger area! But I would absolutely have it inspected when you are able to do so. You would hate to have a problem crop up down the road sometime due to undiagnosed water damage.

I hope that you are able to recover quickly from whatever damage your home and property sustained during Harvey. I have been through a few hurricanes back when I lived in Florida, but never experienced the shear amount of flooding that you guys got. My heart goes out to you and the rest of Houston as you clean up!

Best wishes to you!

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,045 Posts
As others have said, take care, be safe and secure! A car is just a car BUT, in your case, I suspect that all is okay. That being an assumption, I'd arrange to have it flat bedded to a Subaru dealer as soon as you can find one that's up and running to have the car checked out from stem to stern..........let the dealer assure you that the car is okay to drive.

...and, if the car were to be flood damaged, you'll be contemplating a new car..........

God bless you all and report back!

Steve

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 Twlight Blue
16 Posts
Sorry to hear about your house. Seems like your car maybe OK.
We live in Sugar Land, and my wife's 2014 Outback got in high water and had to be left over night.
Water got inside and insurance has written off as total loss.
We had to evacuate, but our house did not get flooded.

Thinking about a 2017 or 2018 Outback as a replacement, but when I emailed Clearlake Subaru they indicated most of their stock was flooded. They hoping to bring in some new cars in the next week or so.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,537 Posts
Items to check carefully, in addition to those noted above, based on the pictures posted:

• Apply a small amount of anti-seize compound to all wheel studs before the lug nuts rust solid.
  • Replace all four brake rotors
  • Inspect/replace brake calipers
  • Inspect/replace wheel hubs/bearings
  • Apply a small amount of anti-seize compound or brake grease to the center bore of the brake rotors to prevent them from rusting to the nose of the wheel hubs
  • Inspect/replace axles (outer CV joints)
  • Inspect/replace steering rack and tie rods
  • Inspect/replace any other moving parts that were fully or partially submerged
  • Inspect/replace any electrical components that were submerged
  • De-mate any electrical connectors that may have been submerged and apply water-displacing spray (e.g. WD-40) liberally to prevent corrosion

Have a Subaru expert (or several experts) do the inspection. Solicit advice from your insurance company. Solicit advice from SOA.

Reactions: SubbaruOB

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I would be calling my insurance company and let their adjuster take a look in case of issues down the road.

Reactions: jsgntulok

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,426 Posts
I live in Houston and due to Harvey our garage flooded last week with our 2016 Outback in there. Water got about 14-15 inches high in the garage and stayed at that level for several hours, maybe up to 6... No water got into the passenger area but I am sort of worried about what could be damaged with the car sitting in such water height for this long. I think no crucial electronics were submerged, but what about other mechanical parts such as differential, brakes, etc? Our house is still inaccessible so I won't be able to take the car to be checked out for another week or so, but I was able to take these pictures a few days ago. What do you think I should expect?

[/IMG]
It is a shame you did not have time to put it up on blocks. That would have taken care of it. Potentially you could have damage. There are electronics under the seats and in the front footwells. How does your car and home insurance work in this case? I am sorry for your loss, be careful and good luck.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts
I'd call the insurance company. However, based on what seems to have been submerged from the pics, I think it's likely fine. When you get back into the house you can measure the height of the water on the walls and compare that to the car. It should give you a pretty good idea of what could have been submerged. If you have the insurance company look at it and they deem it ok, I'm sure if there are any problems that crop up you can still complete the claim. If water had cleared the rockers, then I would be worried. But it doesn't look like it did (from the pictures).

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I'd call the insurance company. However, based on what seems to have been submerged from the pics, I think it's likely fine. When you get back into the house you can measure the height of the water on the walls and compare that to the car. It should give you a pretty good idea of what could have been submerged. If you have the insurance company look at it and they deem it ok, I'm sure if there are any problems that crop up you can still complete the claim. If water had cleared the rockers, then I would be worried. But it doesn't look like it did (from the pictures).
The second photo shows a water line at the bottom of the fog light which are right about the top of the rocker. Car insurance should take care of any damage to the vehicle.

I'd be more concerned as to whether or not the OP had flood insurance on their home.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 Twlight Blue
16 Posts
The adjuster that looked at our Outback told us that exposure to flood water can lead to corrosion of electrical systems with unpredictable consequences down road (pun intended).
Also, reporting a car as being in a flood can have an extreme effect on resale value.

Our car definitely had water inside so there was little doubt in our case.
We settled for FMV (full market value) -$500 deductible.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The second photo shows a water line at the bottom of the fog light which are right about the top of the rocker. Car insurance should take care of any damage to the vehicle.

I'd be more concerned as to whether or not the OP had flood insurance on their home.
You might be right, but looking at the pic of the tire it looks like it was just shy of topping the rocker. Anyway, that would be my concern too, many people don't.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,475 Posts
It looks like you got away clean. If the water had gone above the differential vents the oil would have floated out, and you'd have a splendid ring of gear oil around the car and around the garage walls.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments. Fortunately the first floor of our house is 4 ft above the garage floor, so no damage there. We got very lucky in that sense.
I was having pretty much the same impression as many of you, i.e. probably OK, but should be checked out. I'll definitely have it towed on a trailer to the dealership as soon as we can access our house. Our other car (Mazda3) is a whole different story...
I'll let you know how it all turns out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You might be right, but looking at the pic of the tire it looks like it was just shy of topping the rocker. Anyway, that would be my concern too, many people don't.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
How would I know if that actually happened? Water inside the car or something more subtle or more difficult to notice?

·
Registered
Outback 1: 2015 2.5i Limited. Option 23, PP5, Hitch. Ice Silver. Outback 2: 2015 2.5i Limited, Option 23, PP5, Carbide Gray.
1,022 Posts
How would I know if that actually happened? Water inside the car or something more subtle or more difficult to notice?
Your first step is to, as many have suggested, contact your auto insurance agent, even before you take it, or have it towed to your dealer.

There is another thread on this forum relating to issues with the Gen 5 Outback after it was driven through high water. As I recall, it was related to the rear differential. I seem to recall the thread was started by a Gen 5 owner in Houston.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Definitively, I don't have an answer. If you can see where the ring of water went all around the car, and it doesn't look like it crested the door seals/top of the rocker, then my first inclination is that it *should* be ok. I would definitely have someone else look at it, and it wouldn't hurt to always have an adjuster come out and give their opinion. The dealer can drain the fluids to see if any water managed to get into any of those areas. Then, as far as the interior goes, I would assume there would likely be a musty smell from water getting it. But that's far more subjective.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,421 Posts
  • Apply a small amount of anti-seize compound to all wheel studs before the lug nuts rust solid.
I would not put anti seize on wheel studs. I have experience in the matter.

In this case, if everything seems to function normally, I'd just run it as is. Cars get wet daily.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,537 Posts
I would not put anti seize on wheel studs.
That's important to consider, but over decades of wrenching on cars I have never had a properly-torqued lug nut loosen in service. I have, however, seen several instances of dry studs with their lug nuts rusted solid. YMMV.

Reactions: rasterman
1 - 20 of 29 Posts