Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 2.5 Premium
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed some fluid last month in the top of the oil filler neck and some white smoke coming out of it when I checked the oil and took the cap off to add some oil. Today when I went to change the oil there was more fluid than last month when I added some oil. Does anyone know where it could be coming from? I had the head gaskets done about 15,000 miles ago and I hope that it is not coolant. Here is a picture that I took. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
904 Posts
Sorry to say that looks like moisture in the oil, but have you had any really cold nights/days, sometimes the moisture could just be from the humidity. Also check to see if you have oil in the coolant.

·
Registered
2015 2.5 Premium
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There has been a real swing in temps here over the last month one day it will be in the mid 20's then the next it will hit 40+. I'll have to check the coolant to see if there is any oil in it. The car has been running fine, so I'm not sure what it is.

·
Registered
2015 2.5 Premium
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking around online I found something that said it might be the pcv valve, so I'm going to check that out tonight. I might just replace it anyway since I do not think that it has ever been replaced and I have a little over 100,000 miles on the car. Maybe that will help.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,822 Posts
service the PCV valve and hose.

hope it's just some condensation. More likely if the car sits outdoors at night and only sees short trips.

edit = DOH

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Looks like short trip mayo. It usually burns itself off in hot highway runs, but if you never take those trips it can accumulate. You're on the right track starting with the pcv.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts