Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
35 Posts
I have been following the maintenance schedule (mostly DIY except for the spark plugs) but my dealer in NJ says around 90K would be good for CVT fluids. Given the extended CVT warranty on 10-15 OBs, I will wait until the warranty expires (10 yrs or 100K) before I replace the fluids.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is just me, but when it comes to the CVT, I wouldn't hesitate to replace the fluid at 60,000.

In fact, at 60,000 I replaced it for the second time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been following the maintenance schedule (mostly DIY except for the spark plugs) but my dealer in NJ says around 90K would be good for CVT fluids. Given the extended CVT warranty on 10-15 OBs, I will wait until the warranty expires (10 yrs or 100K) before I replace the fluids.
Assuming you replace it with Subaru fluids, why would changing it alter the warranty in any way?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Touring, Lapis
58 Posts
I have heard (on this board I think) that Subaru will deny the 100k warranty for any CVT that has been cracked open/serviced during this period. One of the purposes for extending the factory warranties on their CVT's is that they want to control the reasons for CVT failures and they feel that eliminating any service that requires opening up the CVT fluid, they can focus on the true reasons for the failures. Transmissions are very finicky and many car manufacturers have had transmission issues caused by people that over or under fill during a change in addition to using different fluids--thinking that they are all the same.
My plan is to leave it alone until 100k and then change it if I plan to keep it much longer.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
310 Posts
That sounds like an urban legend;)

Kind of like people that finally change transmission fluid at 150k and then complain when it fails shortly after.

It was going to fail anyways because nobody changed the fluid in the first 150k miles, not because of the recent fluid change.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
415 Posts
An independent Seattle Subaru only shop told me the same thing: "that Subaru will deny the 100k warranty for any CVT that has been cracked open/serviced during this period."
I'll never hit the 100K, and I've decided to leave mine alone!

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
575 Posts
id do the differentials prior to 54k. if you havent done them i would make them a priority as there as a few threads on here or guys changing theirs around 30k and the fluid looked pretty bad. i did mine around 30k simply because i put that many miles on a brand new car in 1 year- lot of stop and go on the highway, didnt feel bad changing the front and rear diffs. the CVT will definitely be changed at 60k- i almost considered 48k but i think it will be fine till 60k. **** by the 2 year mark ill probably have 48k on it

·
Registered
35 Posts
Assuming you replace it with Subaru fluids, why would changing it alter the warranty in any way?

Ask Mike's outback indicated below, I don't want to avoid the warranty. Actually thought about doing it myself and purchased an OBD reader (for CVT fluid temp), etc but decided not to as I don't tow anything.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,922 Posts
id do the differentials prior to 54k. if you havent done them i would make them a priority as there as a few threads on here or guys changing theirs around 30k and the fluid looked pretty bad...
Define bad? I've seen a couple comments along the lines of what I saw when I drained my rear diff - the fluid is sort of a pearlescent black. This is almost certainly just moly suspended in the oil. Generally speaking, unless there's an obvious issue, it's impossible to gauge the condition of an oil by visual inspection.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Touring 3.6R
83 Posts
Shoot. I planned on having my dealer do a 48k service and drain & fill the cvt fluid. Reading this thread concerns me that Subaru could deny a future warranty claim because I had this service performed. Is this accurate?

·
Registered
2017 3.6 Touring
27 Posts
Having service this morning and asked about CVT service. She called it a “flush” for $309 here in Albany NY.
We just added a tow hitch and tow a small lightweight aluminum boat so will have this done at 50,000 mile service (we do our oil changes every 5,000 miles).

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
200 Posts
Define bad? I've seen a couple comments along the lines of what I saw when I drained my rear diff - the fluid is sort of a pearlescent black. This is almost certainly just moly suspended in the oil. Generally speaking, unless there's an obvious issue, it's impossible to gauge the condition of an oil by visual inspection.
Yup. In the USAF we sent engine oil samples to the lab for analysis after every flight, we didn't simply trust visual checks. I love the dealers who have displays of used fluids v. new fluids in their service departments to convince people to pay for wallet flushes they don't need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
But if it's a Subaru Dealer changing CVT fluid based on his own check of quality of CVT fluid, does it still void warranty?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Touring, Lapis
58 Posts
There is a video on youtube from "MrSubaru" where mentions that he called Subaru of North America and they told him that if the CVT has been opened/drained during the first 100k, they will deny the 100k extended warranty.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts