Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 OB 2.5L AT
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at 2003 and 2005 outback recently, I tried to pull the AT transmission fluid dipstick, it seems difficult to pull. I wonder if it is just like any other that pulls straight up or there is a technique you people want to share.

Seems like with all the obstruction in the area, it is a discouraging step that a mechanic will likely skip. The yellow handles on the cars I have seen seems like they have never been touched for a long time. In my vehicles, before I pull those dipsticks out, I always wipe the area around to clean off dirt and road grimes. Do the same with the oil filler neck.

thanks

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
I found the dipstick goes in and out easier when turned a certain direction. So, if you have difficulty putting it in the tube, pull it out and rotate it 180 degrees and it will it still be a tight fit but go in much easier. Perhaps the previous mechanics did not know this and just jammed the dipstick back in, making it more difficult to remove.

Also, when reading the fluid level be careful to only read the center of the stick in good lighting. The fluid tends to cling to the edges and can make it look like the ATF is way too high.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts