Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
So they hadn't changed the fluid recently.... As long as it doesn't smell burnt your are probably good. Looks clean otherwise; if the clutches were gone the remains would be in the bottom of the pan.:29:

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,505 Posts
Screen looks decent. There's minimal metal on the magnet. The gelling is normal after long intervals. Black is a lot of carbon. You may want to think about adding a small transmission cooler to the front of you car to help keep the temp down in this transmission. Lack of clutch material is good.

Clean fluid and filter. Flush it again in 5-10k.

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,073 Posts
Are you going to be able to tear into the old front diff and find out what actually failed? I'd love to see pics of that.......

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If someone can tell me it's not crazy-hard, I was hoping to do so.

I really want to see if the failure was in the gear-lube portion or atf-lubed portion, as it could just as easily be a bearing for the front output shaft on the ATF side of things (I'm assuming there's a bearing there somewhere).

I've never seen a thread of a front diff/at case cracked open, is there one somewhere?

Almost as important, is there a market for used AT parts with 200K on them? ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts