Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i MT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Now what ?
After posting a couple of weeks ago - I am back - 2009 Subaru Outback MT just had a clutch replacement after the clutch fork/ lever broke, and a new power steering pump after it was found to be leaking. This is a new shop for me . They have a good reputation and seem like knowledgeable and decent folks.

The new shop recommended I go ahead and do the clutch rather than just the fork/lever which was a little more expensive, but , they advised would save money in the long run. That went well . They also found ATF leaking all over the front of the engine, and replaced the O -ring that seems to be an issue over time, and also the reservoir hose .It was still making alot of noise. The car had not previously had a PS problem outside of a little protest in really cold weather. While I was waiting a few days for them to get me into the queue for the PS pump replacement work, I had fluid leaks on my driveway. It didn't look red or pink but I anyway assumed it was that.
PS pump was replaced which solved the noise- the spewing bit was solved by replacing the o ring and hose- I really wonder if I had to replace the PS pump at all... but water under the bridge... The leaks continued -- and I could smell some kind of burning stuff when the car comes to a stop.. especially in the driveway at home. I took the car back to the shop and they went over things with a fine toothed comb , cleaned the engine and thought maybe some of the fluid was trapped in some nooks and crannies from the previous leaking and would work itself out.
It's been a week today, and is still leaking. My car has never had a visible leak- oil or anything else - not even when I had engine issues some years back. The fluid doesn't look red like Dextrol on the driveway or paper towel- looks more gold, but doesn't really smell like motor oil either maybe a little stronger ? . Doesn't seem like coolant smells more like petroleum to me... Seems to be dripping out under the middle part of the engine area. I cant see anything leaking out of the PS pump, the reservoir, or around the top part of the engine, or down where the pressure lines meet what I think is the steering rack, or the boots - but hard to tell from above.

Anything you guys can think of that may have come up after recent work I have had done which was :
  • 9/25/19 Previous shop- lube oil filter, front and rear brakes – new rotors , right axle, weld repair / exhaust pipe at Y joint, Replaced bad HVAC blower motor ( it is still really noisy and weird) , air filter, license plate bulb, left sun visor replaced,
  • 10/14/19 Also previous shop – RR Wheel bearing, LF lower ball joint, RR Tire pressure sensor ( still weirdly blinking , or maybe another one went bad ) , were going to align front end but camber on RF was too negative (you were able to align it at the new shop) mileage about 150,026 .
  • 11/19/19 Car became really hard to shift and had to be towed - they said they couldn't look into the issue until after Thanksgiving, so brought to new shop -- who found clutch fork/ lever broke. They also said there was fluid leaking in the front of engine and determined the PS issue above. Replaced clutch and PS pump. Got an alignment. The new shop said i have a very small hole in my left cv boot now, but that it isnt leaking as of now and can wait. This smell isnt the grease from a torn boot - definitely know that smell.
Any ideas ? I sent the shop an email today to ask what our next steps are, but figured some expert advice wouldn't hurt?

Thanks as always in advance for your help ! Some pics attached. The one spot that looks to be in front of the car - doesn't represent the location of the leak - had to pull car back to look at the puddle!

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Now what ?
After posting a couple of weeks ago - I am back - 2009 Subaru Outback MT just had a clutch replacement after the clutch fork/ lever broke, and a new power steering pump after it was found to be leaking. This is a new shop for me . They have a good reputation and seem like knowledgeable and decent folks.

The new shop recommended I go ahead and do the clutch rather than just the fork/lever which was a little more expensive, but , they advised would save money in the long run. That went well . They also found ATF leaking all over the front of the engine, and replaced the O -ring that seems to be an issue over time, and also the reservoir hose .It was still making alot of noise. The car had not previously had a PS problem outside of a little protest in really cold weather. While I was waiting a few days for them to get me into the queue for the PS pump replacement work, I had fluid leaks on my driveway. It didn't look red or pink but I anyway assumed it was that.
PS pump was replaced which solved the noise- the spewing bit was solved by replacing the o ring and hose- I really wonder if I had to replace the PS pump at all... but water under the bridge... The leaks continued -- and I could smell some kind of burning stuff when the car comes to a stop.. especially in the driveway at home. I took the car back to the shop and they went over things with a fine toothed comb , cleaned the engine and thought maybe some of the fluid was trapped in some nooks and crannies from the previous leaking and would work itself out.
It's been a week today, and is still leaking. My car has never had a visible leak- oil or anything else - not even when I had engine issues some years back. The fluid doesn't look red like Dextrol on the driveway or paper towel- looks more gold, but doesn't really smell like motor oil either maybe a little stronger ? . Doesn't seem like coolant smells more like petroleum to me... Seems to be dripping out under the middle part of the engine area. I cant see anything leaking out of the PS pump, the reservoir, or around the top part of the engine, or down where the pressure lines meet what I think is the steering rack, or the boots - but hard to tell from above.

Anything you guys can think of that may have come up after recent work I have had done which was :
  • 9/25/19 Previous shop- lube oil filter, front and rear brakes – new rotors , right axle, weld repair / exhaust pipe at Y joint, Replaced bad HVAC blower motor ( it is still really noisy and weird) , air filter, license plate bulb, left sun visor replaced,
  • 10/14/19 Also previous shop – RR Wheel bearing, LF lower ball joint, RR Tire pressure sensor ( still weirdly blinking , or maybe another one went bad ) , were going to align front end but camber on RF was too negative (you were able to align it at the new shop) mileage about 150,026 .
  • 11/19/19 Car became really hard to shift and had to be towed - they said they couldn't look into the issue until after Thanksgiving, so brought to new shop -- who found clutch fork/ lever broke. They also said there was fluid leaking in the front of engine and determined the PS issue above. Replaced clutch and PS pump. Got an alignment. The new shop said i have a very small hole in my left cv boot now, but that it isnt leaking as of now and can wait. This smell isnt the grease from a torn boot - definitely know that smell.
Any ideas ? I sent the shop an email today to ask what our next steps are, but figured some expert advice wouldn't hurt?

Thanks as always in advance for your help ! Some pics attached. The one spot that looks to be in front of the car - doesn't represent the location of the leak - had to pull car back to look at the puddle!

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,456 Posts
My two guesses are gear oil from the transmission and maybe motor oil.

The drain plug or axle seal could be leaking on the front differential. The axles would have to be pulled to remove the transmission for the clutch work. If the axle seal was damaged when they went back in, leak. If the drain plug crush washer wasn't replaced, (if they changed the gear oil), then it could be dripping from that.

On to motor oil. If the head gaskets are leaking, then it will blow back on to the crossmember and drip down. It will also drip down on to the cat on the passenger side of the car (bank 1, which is the most likely to leak first). You would have to pull the engine dipstick and see if the color and consistency of the oil is the same as what's on the towel and cardboard.

Same with the transmission gear oil comparison. The dipstick is on the passenger side of the front of the transmission below the middle of the engine compartment. It's has a yellow handle and sets close to the transmission case. You may need a flashlight to see it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks Cardoc- the motor oil looks a bit like whats on the paper towel - pretty clean, but the stuff on the paper towel that is leaking is a bit smellier... Just heard from the shop - they are going to look at it this Friday and try to figure it out...
btw- do you know how to delete an accidental post on here ? I am evidently pretty dumb and posted this twice !

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Quick follow-up ---- would I be able to notice a change with the clutch pedal when shifting ? I haven't yet - at least I don't think I have - except that it isn't quite as easy as it was when I first got the car back after the clutch replacement ... I thought I was just getting used to the new clutch and it was mostly in my head... which it still could be !

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
493 Posts
Differential fluid? Maybe a leak from when the front right axle was replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,492 Posts
@christinez
I raked them all together into one pile for you to maintain. (easiest fix, and everyone can roll back and see what already happened with your car too)

3 threads = 1 thread :)

41 - 52 of 52 Posts