Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I'm the new guy here. Just traded my 2005 Honda S2000 for a 2007 XT Limited. I'm still dealing with a little separation anxiety but I'm really enjoying the car. Mostly I'm just reading but at some point I'll start posting more.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
Howdy.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did actually have one question. On my S2000, I ran full synthetic from it's 2nd oil change (bought it new) until I traded it. From the carfax history, oil changes on the XT were mostly every 4-5000 miles. With 95,000 on the clock, is switching to synthetic an issue?

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
Synthetic is recommended for the turbo engines. This was a Subaru back spec, along with OCI of 3750 miles (Subaru's severe service interval). You're out of warranty, so you may be able to extend past that, but I wouldn't go past 5k...that little turbo gets hot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I switched to synthetic when I bought my 2006 ob xt -- at about 80k miles -- and it has been fine. From everything I've read, you probably want to be changing oil every 3500-4000 miles, and make sure to only use Subaru original filters.

·
Registered
453 Posts
needs a layer of mud.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
Shiny.

FWIW, you can currently get G- OIL free after rebate for another short while, and Quaker State Ultimate Durability is priced well for how it seems to hold up in testing at about $20 for a jug at WalMart. Rotella T6 5w40 is another good one for warmer climates.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Thanks. Since most of the previous owners maintenance was at the dealer, I suppose it's likely that he'd been using synthetic already.
Get the info from the dealer(s). If you ask very nicely they may print off their maintenance history of the car. You can also go to .... https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/account.html ... when you have bought the car and have the VIN handy, and register there. Any past service history entered by a dealer or the previous owner will appear there. Plus you can check for service bulletins, recalls and such..... Make sure the turbo oil pipe recall was performed!!!!!

I second the Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic. It is top quality oil and quite safe for your gas engine in spite of the "diesel" label. Walmart carries it in gallon jugs for $22, if I remember correctly.

You have a MAJOR service coming up at 110K miles. Do not skip this - timing belt replacement plus a bunch of other stuff.

Welcome and enjoy your car - it's just like mine other than color ;)

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the full print out today from the dealer. They did the clutch and 105k service (including timing belt package) before they sold it to me. Yay!

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
107 Posts
welcome! i own the '05 version of the same car. about 15k miles ahead of you on the odometer. it's no S2000, but it's pretty **** fun to drive for a grocery-getter.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! Yeah - I'm definitely enjoying the car. My GF and I took a trip up to Santa Fe over the weekend and it was way more comfortable than my old car. Finding out that the 105k service was already done was just the icing on the cake. The timing belt was enough money that I would've felt compelled to do it myself. Having done that crap for a living for a dozen years, I avoid it whenever possible. :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good looking OBXT :)

I love ABQ, wish I could find a job in my field there!
Thanks. What kind of work do you do? I was actually here over 18 months before I found a local job. For most of that time I was working for a company in Sacramento, CA. I was able to telecommute most of the time but still had to fly back and forth a couple times a month. It really wears on you.

Welcome BlueCorn! Good lookin' car!

The $$$ saved on maintenance can be poured into upgrades, right? ;)
That's certainly possible. I'm still working on getting it in shape so tires and some weatherstripping is next on the agenda. I also need to get Sirius installed. I bought an aftermarket unit but I really like the idea of the factory setup.

Still no "layer of mud" but I did get her up to the mountains over the weekend.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally turned the stereo down enough to hear I've got some piston slap. Pretty sure it's just slap, and not a rod, since I drove 1000 miles today and it didn't change (or explode).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
11 Participants
Monkeybone
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing