Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new, and have a few questions. I'm thinking of getting rid of my 96 Tahoe 2 dr 4x4, which I use as a work truck. I love it, but hate filling it up every third day.

The Outback 2.5XT looks like my favorite model so far. Have any of you guys gone from half-ton to Outback? Any regrets?

My main issues are:
1. fuel economy

2. cargo room for tools (nothing major, I'm a superintendent, not a framer)

3. power/handling in town and on the highway

4. maximum ground clearance - driving through standing water and on ungraded plots of land

As I understand it the Outback is the largest model (interior capacity) - do you guys think I'm headed in the right direction as far as model?

Thanks in advance for all input.

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
I'm guessing you were thinking of getting a 2004 not a 2005 but here's a place with plenty of info and a reviewers opinions (other models/years, too).

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2005.html

I went from a GMC Sonoma, a smallish truck with extended cab and 6' bed, to a 2004 Impreza Outback Sport, a compact wagon.

I will probably miss having the open PU bed and extra ground clearance, but it was time for a change. I used to get about 19 MPG average from the truck and so far looking like it will be 27 MPG for the OBS (unless the engine loosens up more and I gain some mpg later on). Unfortunately, I tend to drive more. :)

You'd be getting a huge boost in MPG going from that Tahoe to a Outback, and not lose any power I believe.

Would lose a lot of towing ability, and the sure-footedness lacking a low-gear 4x4.

The 1" less ground clearance might not be a problem for you, it still being about 8.4".
{Edit: Oops, I'm wrong, that's the 2005. I see now that the pre-05's (non-H6 3.0L) only had a ground clearance of 7.3".}
I lost a little over an inch of clearance myself and used to be able to go over curbs without much worry, but now I'm afraid to with just over 6" now.

Cargo room of the Outback should suffice. It's the closed space versus open that I'm dealing with (again, the smaller Impreza Outback Sport) that can be a bother, but luckily I have another truck available to me, the father's '96 Sierra with 8' bed, kept at some property 10 minutes away.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Roo! I am thinking of getting an 05 because of the ground clearance. Towing isn't much of an issue for me. I guess I need to decide between the 2.5i and the 2.5XT. Power is an issue.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
You should at least walk a circle around a Baja and see if that bed might suit you.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I considered the Baja, but I prefer the ability to lock-up my tools. The Baja appears too small to have a truck tool box, and have any room left for light storage.

Nonetheless, you are correct; I should at least see it in person.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts