Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Touring 3.6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 19 touring 3.6 and can't stand the headlights being bright white and the fogs being a more natrual yellow light. It seems a lot of people are going with LED conversion for fogs - what about just going with the Sylvania Zxe bright white bulbs - same type bulb so no cooling fans for LEDs... but will they look close enough to the headlights to match?

Thanks in advance!
Fred

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,250 Posts
I have a 19 touring 3.6 and can't stand the headlights being bright white and the fogs being a more natrual yellow light. It seems a lot of people are going with LED conversion for fogs - what about just going with the Sylvania Zxe bright white bulbs - same type bulb so no cooling fans for LEDs... but will they look close enough to the headlights to match?

Thanks in advance!
Fred
And then there are people like me who put yellow lamin-X film over their fog lamps. :) I later added LEDs to my fog lamps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
- what about just going with the Sylvania Zxe bright white bulbs - same type bulb so no cooling fans for LEDs... but will they look close enough to the headlights to match?
Sorry, but "no. They will not.".

Osram offers a 5000k-6000k bulb under its own brand, "cool blue hyper" or "cool blue boost" depending in your country. (NOT: Cool Blue Intense, these are just the zxe with an Osram Name)
They fit the look. But they just Look bright, the output is rather disappointing.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,610 Posts
The cardinal rule is that any bulb with blue tinted glass is no bueno for light projection or bulb life.

I went off the rez myself and replaced my fogs with PIAA H11 yellow halogen. It is not a light thrower nor was it intended to be. It lights up the shoulders with contrasting light for depth perception. White light, especially the blue tinted bulbs, wash out everything so you get light but nit very useful.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,937 Posts
All is vanity!

Reactions: provels

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited
178 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Fred
Just my two cents.....I just bought a 2018 Limited with the LED headlights. I too didn't care for the standard Halogen fog light bulbs. I went with the Micro series from VLED's in Bellingham Washington. The LED headlights from Subaru are 5000K and VLED was offering either 5000K or 6000K. I went with 5000K and they match the headlights perfectly. They are plug & play too, very easy to install. I have yet to have anyone flash me at night when I have my headlights and foglights on, the beam pattern is very nice, lights up the sides in front too.

Naturally as soon as I get them and install them, VLED announces their newest version of them which are the Micro Evolution and are even brighter than the standard Micro ones that I had ordered and at the same price. You can view them here if you want:
MICRO EVOLUTION H11 H16 H8 H9 - H11 H8 H9 H16 - Fog Lights - Shop Application

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Limited
127 Posts
I added the OPT7 Cree V2 H11 to my 18 OB LTD. They were inexpensive and match the LED headlights very well, and no fan. From inside the car when you turn them on its hard to see any difference in the light output....can hardly tell they are on, seems to be a very diffuse light output I thought there would be more of an increase in directed light output. I dont know it may have more to do with the Fog housing than the bulb as for how the light is projected.

CREE V2 Series: LED Fog Light Replacement Bulbs

·
Registered
184 Posts
I swapped in some 5000k halogen bulbs from amazon $14
I’m sure the light output is less than the stock halogens, but...... the led headlights are amazing! I don’t even see a need for fogs. I just swapped them so they color match.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,012 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Touring 3.6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So do I go VLEDs for $150 for fogs or $120 for Diode Dynamics?

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Limited
127 Posts
Just my two cents.....I just bought a 2018 Limited with the LED headlights. I too didn't care for the standard Halogen fog light bulbs. I went with the Micro series from VLED's in Bellingham Washington. The LED headlights from Subaru are 5000K and VLED was offering either 5000K or 6000K. I went with 5000K and they match the headlights perfectly. They are plug & play too, very easy to install. I have yet to have anyone flash me at night when I have my headlights and foglights on, the beam pattern is very nice, lights up the sides in front too.

Naturally as soon as I get them and install them, VLED announces their newest version of them which are the Micro Evolution and are even brighter than the standard Micro ones that I had ordered and at the same price. You can view them here if you want:
MICRO EVOLUTION H11 H16 H8 H9 - H11 H8 H9 H16 - Fog Lights - Shop Application
I installed a set of H11 OPT7 CREE V2 lights, very easy to install, match the LED headlights, only problem I have is when they are on you cant even tell, the beam pattern is diffuse and from inside the car its really hard to tell they are on I guess the LED headlights are much brighter. I didn't know if it was the OPT7 bulb that was weak or the fog light housing that lacks a focused projection that was the issue. Can you actually see additional light output with the VLEDs when the headlights are on? Is there a focused beam in front of the car as well as the sides or is it a diffuse projection like I am seeing?

CREE V2 Series: LED Fog Light Replacement Bulbs

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,001 Posts
I've seen several complaints in the Gen 5 forum regarding low output and/or poor focus of the fog lights. Are you sure that they're aimed properly? When my Outback was brand new, I had this problem and discovered both of my fogs were aimed high - one was extremely high, as if it had never been adjusted. Took a lot of work on each aiming screw to bring them back down (rotate the cog to the left to lower the beam). I did this on ramps in front of a cement wall and would suggest that you aim them with the stock bulbs before replacing with LED. This is because the stock bulbs create an obvious horizontal hot spot (guessing it's a projection of the filament) that helps to match the beams. When I swapped in some cheap LEDs, the light was much more diffuse and not as uniform, which would have complicated that task.

Anyway, once properly adjusted, even the stock bulbs noticeably improved close-range visibility. That's with HIDs, but I'm not sure why LED headlights would be much different. Also consider the output of the LED fog bulbs you're using - the units without fans are not very bright. I have the Lasfit H11s ($30 from Amazon) and they're way brighter than the stock bulbs. They claim 3800 lumens per bulb, which may be an exaggeration, but I wouldn't want anything brighter. Definitely more blue tint than I'd like, but not too bad, and the price was right (scored an open box for $20). If nighttime fog was more than a rare occurance for me, I'd probably have looked for lower CCT bulbs or put yellow filters over them. But for wet roads or off road, these work very well.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited
178 Posts
Here are a few photos I took yesterday of my LED fog lights on/off at night and a photo of them on during the daytime in a parking garage just to show how much they match the factory LED headlights. The fog lights are the Micro series 5000K sold by VLED.

The first photo is low-beam stock LED headlights only. The second image is low-beam LED plus the LED fog lights on. Third image is just to show how much they match the headlights. The images are from my eye-level seated as I tried to find the darkest area by my house in an industrial park after it had rained. I am very pleased with the VLED brand, these Micro series ones just saw a recent revision to them so they are now called Micro Evolution on the VLED website, the Micro series that I have are 4200 lumen per bulb, the new Micro Evolution ones are 4700 lumen per bulb.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
593 Posts
im starting to wonder if there are better halogen bulbs out there that throw better light than a set of LED bulbs.. im currently running the diode dynamic yellow LED bulbs but im wondering if a yellow halogen would throw a better pattern.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,610 Posts
I have the PIAA yellow halogens in my housings. Like them a lot.

They mostly light up the road with a beam that projects at roughly the 10 and 2 positions. It more lights up the shoulders and gives contrast than projects. They are kinda useless at highway speeds but at foggy condition speeds they are bueno.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
593 Posts
I have the PIAA yellow halogens in my housings. Like them a lot.

They mostly light up the road with a beam that projects at roughly the 10 and 2 positions. It more lights up the shoulders and gives contrast than projects. They are kinda useless at highway speeds but at foggy condition speeds they are bueno.
those are exactly the ones im contemplating buying- piaa solar yellows. i know the LEDs are designed to use the same reflectors in the housing as the halogens but i feel like since the housings were made for a halogen a halogen would perform better. im more concerned for fall/winter driving that the fogs help out the headlights. come spring i throw my philips LEDs back in the fogs and all is well

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,610 Posts
I like them because they help with contrast and seeing the lines in the road. In fog you're going to drive slow so the lack of projection is not a negative.

Most posts on the subject are trying to turn the fog housings into some sort of LED projection for a pseudo driving light.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts