Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the same question as another person, Vled or Diode Dynamics? I currently have DD for all my interior lights and they're tried and true, work great. Thoughts on which ones to use? Do these need fans?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited
166 Posts
I have the same question as another person, Vled or Diode Dynamics? I currently have DD for all my interior lights and they're tried and true, work great. Thoughts on which ones to use? Do these need fans?

If you have used DD and are pleased you can always go that route, I myself have not. I am more than pleased with my VLED bulbs for fog lights, interior. They do run sales too with discount codes, so if you go the VLED route, keep an eye out for them. I have the Micro series LED bulbs in my fog lights for my '18 Outback, they just revised them a few months ago with the Micro Evolution which are even better from what I have read and heard.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
460 Posts
Just installed the VLEDs

Just did the VLED install as previously mentioned.
https://www.vleds.com/shop-application/fog-lights/h11/micro-evo-h11-h16-h8-h9.html
Little pricey, $125 for the pair and 2 year warranty. I tried them out without the engine running and you can hear the little cooling fans running. Which are exposed, and since this is the 2nd time I've accessed my fog lights I know that area is far from water tight. So I'll be interested how these LEDs with the cooling fan exposed fair during rainy season.
The color match to the OEM headlights seems pretty good. And you can see the difference from the stock fog light.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
442 Posts
https://www.vleds.com/shop-application/fog-lights/h11/micro-evo-h11-h16-h8-h9.html
Little pricey, $125 for the pair and 2 year warranty. I tried them out without the engine running and you can hear the little cooling fans running. Which are exposed, and since this is the 2nd time I've accessed my fog lights I know that area is far from water tight. So I'll be interested how these LEDs with the cooling fan exposed fair during rainy season.
The color match to the OEM headlights seems pretty good. And you can see the difference from the stock fog light.
i run the philips LEDs and theyre 840lumens vs the VLED 3500lumens. tempted to try these since they are 4 times the brightness of my current philips

·
Registered
166 Posts

I have not had any problems with my VLED's and I too am in the PNW where rain is quite common and I have had my installed since last August. My only issue was I wish I had waited a few weeks because right when I had the Micro's installed, VLED introduced the Micro Evolution which is basically their latest model, the one you have installed, but only slightly brighter than the Micro's I have. I am more than pleased with the light output I drive with them on at night because I enjoy the extra light on the road and to the sides, and have only been flashed at night once since I had them installed. Yes, with the factory LED 5000K, the VLED 5000K fogs do match perfectly in my opinion.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i run the philips LEDs and theyre 840lumens vs the VLED 3500lumens. tempted to try these since they are 4 times the brightness of my current philips

You should, I think you saw those night time photos I posted of the fog lights off and then one of them on back on page 2 of this thread. I think you will be quite pleased. VLED does have a Memorial Day sale going on until 11:59pm pacific time tonight, use code MDS15 at checkout to get 15% off those Micro Evolution. They also run sales through out the year, I think the best I have seen is 20% off those so if you decide to order take advantage of that discount code while its active. Go with the 5000K over the 6000K if you want them to match the factory LED headlights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 19 touring 3.6 and can't stand the headlights being bright white and the fogs being a more natrual yellow light. It seems a lot of people are going with LED conversion for fogs - what about just going with the Sylvania Zxe bright white bulbs - same type bulb so no cooling fans for LEDs... but will they look close enough to the headlights to match?

Thanks in advance!
Fred
As far as LEDs go, I have purchase a set of Beamtech from Amazon on two other vehicles. Less that $40 for a set and very, very impressed with them over halogens. Nice white light that should be very close to the OB headlights. Getting ready to by a set of fog lamps for our 19 OB Limited. Was looking for the bulb size when I saw your post. Anyway, the Beamtech lights are built to have the LEDs in the exact same position as the filament of the corresponding halogen. Thus, in reflector type assemblies, the beam pattern remains correct with OEM bulbs. Definitely worth the $$. I got there newer 'fanless' version for the high and low beams of my other vehicle...best upgrade I ever did on it!

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
442 Posts
ive continued to do my far share of fog light bulb testing as i am never satisfied with what i have. ive tried the following:

• hoen h11 endurance halogen
  • piaa solar yellow halogen
  • philips xtremevision h11 halogen
  • osram h11 halogens
  • optilux hella h11 halogens
  • alla lighting LED h11
im still rocking my philips xtreme-ultinon yellow LEDs. granted i have ran all the above with lamin-x film to get the yellow shade i want and the happiest ive been is with the philips yellow ultinon bulbs. crazy to think ive gone through all those, but im a perfectionist.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
442 Posts
paroxysym - Well, if you feel like spending $40 to try another type, give those Beamtech's a shot and let us know! I would love to hear how they stack against what you have tried.
heres my issue with LED bulbs in these housings- they only have a couple LED chips on eash side. the beamtechs you mentioned are almost similar to the philips so i would expect them to be the same- plus i have the philips xtreme-ultinon 6000k LEDs that are specifically for foglights and theyre great. hands down prob the best 6000k LED bulb you can buy. i like the break of the 2700k philips- everytime i swap them in or another bulb i get the same response when i ask someone which one they like, they all say the philips because they go with the headlights as far as color/shade of yellow.

for example, here is the hoen endurance bulbs which everyone on the audi/lex/etc forums claim to be the greatest yellow bulb on the market. here they are compared to the philips(on the right). everyone digs the philips

here is the piaa solar yellows and the philips(on the left). again you can see the difference between the two- theyre almost like the hoens but not as dark. again, the philips win. also these pics include the lamin-x yellow film on the fogs soo... just some food for though on those looking on the market at different bulbs. i have tried the hella optilux and the nokya yellows and they sucked in comparison to the above 3 bulbs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 19 touring 3.6 and can't stand the headlights being bright white and the fogs being a more natrual yellow light. It seems a lot of people are going with LED conversion for fogs - what about just going with the Sylvania Zxe bright white bulbs - same type bulb so no cooling fans for LEDs... but will they look close enough to the headlights to match?

Thanks in advance!
Fred
I purchased a set of these for $16 on amazon in the 6000K temp and they work great, they don't have a cooling fan either. The light output comes out from 3 sides as well as out the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
628 Posts
heres my issue with LED bulbs in these housings- they only have a couple LED chips on eash side. the beamtechs you mentioned are almost similar to the philips so i would expect them to be the same- plus i have the philips xtreme-ultinon 6000k LEDs that are specifically for foglights and theyre great. hands down prob the best 6000k LED bulb you can buy. i like the break of the 2700k philips- everytime i swap them in or another bulb i get the same response when i ask someone which one they like, they all say the philips because they go with the headlights as far as color/shade of yellow.

for example, here is the hoen endurance bulbs which everyone on the audi/lex/etc forums claim to be the greatest yellow bulb on the market. here they are compared to the philips(on the right). everyone digs the philips

View attachment 475374

here is the piaa solar yellows and the philips(on the left). again you can see the difference between the two- theyre almost like the hoens but not as dark. again, the philips win. also these pics include the lamin-x yellow film on the fogs soo... just some food for though on those looking on the market at different bulbs. i have tried the hella optilux and the nokya yellows and they sucked in comparison to the above 3 bulbs.
View attachment 475375
Nice, I used to swear by Hoen on my 911 great bulbs!

·
Registered
3 Posts

View attachment 475374

View attachment 475375
Yeah, I hear ya on issues with LEDs. And I can see you have clearly put a lot of effort into this...so, first of all, thanks! Certainly helps seeing the fruits (or sometimes rotten fruit) of you labors!

But, here is the real issue...a lot of people do not realize this part of the equation. Lumens or color or brightness is only half of the equation.

It is not the number of LEDs or what kind of LEDs or whatever type of light. It is dependant on the light output AND the location of the light emitters. As I mentioned in a previous post, these Beamtech (and I am sure there are others) are patterned to match a halogen bulb. So, the placement and size of the LEDs is determined by matching the filament of its equivalent halogen bulb. Thus, the reason why the LEDs look smallish.

You can put the brightest, most efficient light you want...but if the placement of the light source is not correct in the housing, then the projector/reflector cannot use the light correctly. Thus, you get poor performance. Or, you get the dreaded 'flood' of light instead of a correct beam pattern. Conversely, the correct position will make even a less bright bulb output more usable light.

Regardless of what lights you are looking at, just try to compare the placement of the light source vs the light bulb spec/size the housing is designed for. Just like you have to move a magnifying glass in the sun's rays to get the right focus, we have to achieve that focus in headlights. Difference is in what we move. We cannot move the sun, so we move the magnifying glass. In headlights, we cannot move the 'magnifying glass' (reflector/projector), so we move the 'sun' (light source). There are even a few LEDs I have seen that have an adjustment built into them...let's you move the 'filament' (LED location) fore and aft a bit.

If you notice, even in halogen bulbs, some manufactures have different thickness of gasket on the housing where you plug the bulb in. This moves the filament the few millimeters fore/aft to work with their headlight assembly.

Anyway, if you like one light better than the other...but it is not performing like you want...try putting more or less gasket in and see if it helps. You can probably sit the bulbs next to one another and see the distance and size of the filaments (or size and placement of LEDs) and adjust accordingly.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts