Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have Grills or stone guards on there fog lights, if so were did you get them? 2013 O/B

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited
2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
My 2003 Outback had factory installed guards for the fogs. They did not do any good, because one lens broke in spite of the guard.

My VW has no guards and has no broken lenses either. Why put something on that seems to be useless?

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
My 2003 Outback had factory installed guards for the fogs. They did not do any good, because one lens broke in spite of the guard.

My VW has no guards and has no broken lenses either. Why put something on that seems to be useless?
Wide open plastic guards are useless, but the _thick_ clear films are nearly 100% effective on glass lenses. The thin films used to protect paint are not stout enough.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
On all my cars in recent years, I have installed XPel Headlight Protection, which includes covers for the fog lights. I put them on my new 13 OB 3.6R when I bought it last month. They're a bear to put on the headlights, but I've never had a scratch, yellowing, or break since I started using them on my cars years ago. I got them from the AutoSport catalog, although I'm sure they are available from lots of places.

XPel Headlight Protection - XPel Headlight Protectors - AutoSport Catalog

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
On all my cars in recent years, I have installed XPel Headlight Protection, which includes covers for the fog lights. I put them on my new 13 OB 3.6R when I bought it last month. They're a bear to put on the headlights, but I've never had a scratch, yellowing, or break since I started using them on my cars years ago. I got them from the AutoSport catalog, although I'm sure they are available from lots of places.

XPel Headlight Protection - XPel Headlight Protectors - AutoSport Catalog
Expel covers are great. Have them on my headlights now and previous car. They last for years without visual defects.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
I can't agree. The grilles are not absolute protection, but just because you experienced a breakage does not mean they are NO protection. Only took me one winter of cinders to break the fog on my car that didn't have the grille on it. I'm sure a lot of small stuff gets through, as evidenced by the pitting on the lens, but the rock that took out my lens was most definitely not small. If I'd had film on the lens, I would probably have had a broken lens with chunks held in by the film. I have nicks on my other grille which tend to support that they are a help.

Basically, if you want the MOST protection, you'll use both film and a grille over the fog light. That's what I plan to do when I put totally new housings on both sides.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
297 Posts
Does anyone have Grills or stone guards on there fog lights, if so were did you get them? 2013 O/B
I have a Lamin-X yellow vinyl on my fog lamps and I was gonna fabricate some grilles for them out of some gutter mesh from the hardware store soon I had some some time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used Lamin-X on our 2012 Legacy fogs, and they cooked and discolored... all happened at once, otherwise seemed to hold up, cannot even remember what happened that one time, might have been packed in with ice, salt and dirt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts