Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 H6 Outback Sedan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I've been snooping around the Gen 2 forums for tutorials on how to make the fog lights function independently for a 2002 H6 Outback Sedan. Most search results provided instructions specifically for the 2.5 2000-2004 Outbacks. What I noticed is that the Fog Light Relay is located within the fuse compartment under the steering wheel instead of the main fuse box; the 2.5 models have the Fog Light relay located within the main fuse box. Due to the relocation of the relay, I wasn't able to follow the tutorials most have posted. Can someone share some insights on how to do this mod for an H6?

Thank You!

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,114 Posts
Looks like I totally missed that there was a separate page for the H6 cars. But the only thing different is the location of the relay. And it's still in a bank of other relays. Grab that RY wire, and tie it in to a new power source that is on when you want your fog lights to work, and you're golden.

·
Registered
2002 H6 Outback Sedan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Within the bank of relays, there's an "Engine ignition system SRS airbag " fuse, which I assume is always on. Kinda afraid of splicing into it though since it deals with the airbag haha. However, there's the Illumination brightness control fuse, which is on almost all the time. Would it be wise to splice that fuse over the former?

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,114 Posts
If you're worried about anything, make sure you disconnect the battery before you mess with it. If the system is powered off, you can't set anything off.

The relay right next to the fog relay (on the end of the block) is the DRL relay. The green wire on that relay is ignition switched, that would be perfect to tap into, if that's the function you want.

·
Registered
2002 H6 Outback Sedan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're worried about anything, make sure you disconnect the battery before you mess with it. If the system is powered off, you can't set anything off.

The relay right next to the fog relay (on the end of the block) is the DRL relay. The green wire on that relay is ignition switched, that would be perfect to tap into, if that's the function you want.
Will do, thank you for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts