Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium CVT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an easy "fix" to make the fog lights operate independently of the headlights?

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
Do they not work with the parking lights on and driving lights off??

If not, or if you want the more independant, the only thing I can think is to trace some wires and jump a ground so they will work independent.

I did this to a Jeep once so I could run fogs with hi-beams and my aftermarket lights... it was hella bright!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Check local laws in Texas. In Ca it is illegal to drive with fog lights on and headlights off.
Also be careful when jumping and splicing wires. All the electronics work on a CAN/Bus system with mulitple body control modules. Extra loads can trip the BCM and shut the circuit down.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium CVT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not looking for legal advice, but thanks anyway!
Anyone know a way to bypass the system?

·
Registered
2012 Silver Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
180 Posts
I'm not looking for legal advice, but thanks anyway!
Anyone know a way to bypass the system?
I was responding to upflying. It would be irresponsible not to mention the legal issues since so many use this board as a resource.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I was responding to upflying. It would be irresponsible not to mention the legal issues since so many use this board as a resource.
What he said ^

Also no such thing as a fog light or every plane on the planet would have one ;-)

Those short range floods under the bumper are rally lights the proper one's were used to light up the shoulders of the dirt roads between the front of the car and where the longer range primary lights made land fall.

If you want increased visibility in fog or heavy rain the more focused the beam of light the better your visibility will be meaning the low beams are about as close to perfection in fog and heavy rain that our cars have. Short of inventing some type of laser beam lighting system or forward looking infra red cockpit heads up display the good ol low beams are the best option.

If you just want to be one of those goofy people who think running non legal lights in odd combos is cool - you could always just bypass the entire stock system and have a toggle switch on the dash for own power supply to the lights. Like I had on my late 70's early 80's cars.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium CVT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't plan on being "illegal" or "goofy". There are other uses for fog lights, but apparently I will have to figure this one out on my own. Thanks again for the historical, legal, and parental advice.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Nullrejector:
Bypass the OEM wiring and run wires directly from fog lights through firewall (with in-line fuse and relay) to your dash board and add Subaru OEM switch next to round mirror adjustment switch (there is an empty spot for aux. switch). I have done it on other cars previously, when I was adding Hellas....there seem to be always some cut-off spots on dashboard for aux switches on most cars!

·
Registered
13 blk Outback 2.5i cvt AW package, bunch of other OEM accessories...12 blk F350 6.2 gasser 4x4...10 Goldwing red nav ...04 JD 4510 loader/bhoe
77 Posts
I'm not sure about legalities but, regardless fogs only help your night vision in fog if the headlights are off.
Some vehicles still come from the factory with independent switches for the fogs.
Under real foggy conditions the lower the light to the ground the better. If you run with headlights and fogs on its masks the improvement as the water droplets are diffusing the light from the headlights. Amber fogs are superior for vision in fog over a white light.
The factory lights on the OB's are really just driving lights, just like the Toyota Venza for Style! LOL
If you really want vast improvement driving in fog, best to add aftermarket lights designed for what you want. The lower grill area is open and good location for an install. This will give you superior fog lighting and the independent use your looking for.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
The factory lights on the OB's are really just driving lights, just like the Toyota Venza for Style! LOL
While I agree with most of your post, I disagree here. They are very functional and very usefull on any rural 2 lane road. If all you drive is lighted city streets and interstate highways, then yes, they are for style. But go back any rural 2 lane road and give em a try. They really do light up the ditches.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
True fog lights actually help in fog. The Outback "fog lights" aren't aimed properly to help in fog. They do, however, help light up the road.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Hummmm, My 2013's fog light do what they are supposed to and in addition to that help me identify "black ice". There is a big difference between driving and fog lights. Fog lights help you find the roadway in the fog and driving lights help you see things at a far distance. Nothing I can see is wrong with the fog lights on my OB.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
The "diffusing" you mention is called Rayleigh Scattering, according to Daniel Stern Lighting; in normal rain/fog is not the case as the rain/fog droplets are not equal to or smaller than the lights wavelength. Yellow is preferred because our eyes process yellow light better compared to white or blue light.

From my experience, my '13 OB fog lights work great and perform as fogs were designed to.

I'm not sure about legalities but, regardless fogs only help your night vision in fog if the headlights are off.
Some vehicles still come from the factory with independent switches for the fogs.
Under real foggy conditions the lower the light to the ground the better. If you run with headlights and fogs on its masks the improvement as the water droplets are diffusing the light from the headlights. Amber fogs are superior for vision in fog over a white light.
If you really want vast improvement driving in fog, best to add aftermarket lights designed for what you want. The lower grill area is open and good location for an install. This will give you superior fog lighting and the independent use your looking for.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i SE PZEV Newport Blue
525 Posts
Wrong category BUT on my '09, the factory "fog" lights do not really add much lighting.
They may add some light to very foreground, but do not penetrate as a real fog light.
I was disappointed, but have gotten used to nothing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts