Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Wagon
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was taking some pictures of my '04 yesterday, I went to turn on the fogs for a shot and they didn't turn on. They turned on on their own when it became darker but wouldn't turn on in daylight. Is that a thing? Or what?

·
Registered
2014 XV 5MT, 2000 Outback Limited 5MT
57 Posts
Typically fog lights will not function unless the low-beam headlights are turned on.

I don't think Subaru made any vehicles like certain luxury vehicles that run with fog lights only (I think they get away with that in certain states as classifying them as DRLs, though I don't know for sure).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Typically fog lights will not function unless the low-beam headlights are turned on.

I don't think Subaru made any vehicles like certain luxury vehicles that run with fog lights only (I think they get away with that in certain states as classifying them as DRLs, though I don't know for sure).
On mine it DRLs but then the next click up is fogs and they don't turn on when i hit fogs but they do when it's night time... It's confusing...

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
I think you are confusing functions a bit, and making assumptions.
On the light control stalk, with the nubs lined up you are in Off position, no manual control of lights involved, and your headlights will by design be on in DRL mode (unless you've unplugged the module). First position beyond that is 'parking lights' or lights up the running marker lights, but your headlights are still on in the DRL mode. In both of those positions, your fogs are wired not to come on. In the next position, the final one, your regular headlights are activated. If the stalk is not pressed forwards (high beams) and the fog light switch is pressed into the On position (indicated by the illumination on the switch), your fog lights will be on. By design, this is the ONLY time a factory wired and equipped 2nd Gen. Outback will have its fog lights on.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,121 Posts
also, pulling the e-brake up will turn off DRLs.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
also, pulling the e-brake up will turn off DRLs.
Cool. Now I have an easier way to drive without my DRLs on than finding that electrical thang-a-ma-jig and removing it.

I can't seem to go very far though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you are confusing functions a bit, and making assumptions.
On the light control stalk, with the nubs lined up you are in Off position, no manual control of lights involved, and your headlights will by design be on in DRL mode (unless you've unplugged the module). First position beyond that is 'parking lights' or lights up the running marker lights, but your headlights are still on in the DRL mode. In both of those positions, your fogs are wired not to come on. In the next position, the final one, your regular headlights are activated. If the stalk is not pressed forwards (high beams) and the fog light switch is pressed into the On position (indicated by the illumination on the switch), your fog lights will be on. By design, this is the ONLY time a factory wired and equipped 2nd Gen. Outback will have its fog lights on.
That confused the heck out of me...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i still have not figured it out, Is there a fuse or something that might be effecting my fogs...?

·
Registered
2000 Outback Ltd.
205 Posts
You have a 2nd gen and it doesn't have some sort of photo sensor that automatically turns the fogs on at dusk. You have to manually turn it on by having the low beams fully on and then pressing the fog light button. Period. Just try to turn it on this way and see if it works.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have a 2nd gen that doesn't have some sort of photo sensor that automatically turns the fogs on at dusk. You have to manually turn it on by having the low beams fully on and then pressing the fog llight button. Period. Just try to turn it on this way and see if it works.
Wait there's a fog light button!?

·
Registered
2000 Outback Ltd.
205 Posts
See the three buttons just left of the steering wheel? One is fog, the other is cruise control, and the last is wiper defroster.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See the three buttons just left of the steering wheel? One is fog, the other is cruise control, and the last is wiper defroster.
Wow..... I never knew what that button was for....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts