Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
They are OEM and I'm pretty sure all Outbacks came with them. However, they frequently break and fall off.

·
Registered
03 Baja Yellow 5MT 235k miles & 09 Outback 2.5i Quartz Silver 5MT 105k miles
88 Posts
$40 doesnt seem too bad, to protect $200 fog lights. I was expecting more. I have 200,000 miles on mine and are still intact.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Look at your fog lights before you buy them. I often find that the clips on the lights themselves are broken so there's no way to hold the grilles on.

·
Registered
2000 OBW 2.5 4EAT AWP
25 Posts
They were stock on mine. Can be found new at various Subaru online parts sites for $30-35 each. Part number 84953AE05A

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Look at your fog lights before you buy them. I often find that the clips on the lights themselves are broken so there's no way to hold the grilles on.
Such is the case with mine.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Heh. One of mine is actually superglued to the lens, as the tabs snapped off.

They don't really protect the glass worth anything, I just think Kaylee looks better with them than without.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
haha I see you found a pic of my Outback before I modded it. :D I lucked out with my grills, no broken tabs, just had to replace the fog lights since they were in rough shape.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited, Manual Transmission
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, nice! I found in on some thread on here.

It seems like most cars do not have these.

I can't imagine them doing much to protect anything, I just thought they looked kinda cool.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Lamin-X manufactures pre-cut film (both 40 mill & 12 mill) for the 2nd gen Outback fog lights. I installed a set of 40 mills last summer on my new fog assemblies and opted to keep my grills since they compliment the cars look, at least in my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
I'm here to say they do help protect your lights. They're not absolute protection, but it only took one road cinder season to kill the unit I had without a grille on it. The previous owner (my brother) had driven the car offroad and around the rougher parts of Portland, and rubbed the nose into plenty of mudholes, potholes, curbs, breakovers, and considering the paint rubs I'd say a few other cars. He knows one particular mudhole is where he left the grille, and the tow hook cover. Since he lives in town and his offroad adventures weren't following someone else, the lens survived. I have to follow log and chip trucks on cinder littered roads, and one big one hit that low down light and shattered a hole in it. The other side's grille has some war wounds to show its done its job. When I have some fresher lenses to protect, I plan to LaminX them AND run the grilles. Also, the grilles keep down the vertical propagation of light, so you won't put so much glare on other drivers when you use the fogs.

·
Registered
2001 OBW, 2.5L, 165k
75 Posts
I have to agree on the aesthetic part of it. Both of my lenses are broken and both of my grilles are intact. When I replace them, both are getting helicopter tape under the grille.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
Both of mine are still on at 234,000 miles, but I'm not sure if they're original.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Heh. One of mine is actually superglued to the lens, as the tabs snapped off.

They don't really protect the glass worth anything, I just think Kaylee looks better with them than without.
I thought about JB-Welding them to the lens when I had my '04, but figured I'd regret that if I ever needed to change the bulbs.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,760 Posts
Given how little area they actually cover, I don't view them as protection, and they actually impinge on the lighting pattern. I ditched them years ago. I like the clean look without them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts