Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been able to find/install a fold-down armrest for driver seat on the 4th gen OB (2012)? Subaru certainly doesn't provide any such part and I have also not been able to find anything aftermarket. Never though it would be so difficult to find one!

This is standard on, say a honda CRV and really increases the driving pleasure. The hard steering wheels (possibly due to being "hydraulic") on my 2012 OB is the ONLY thing that I don't like about this car..I heard that on 2013 OB, subaru went from hydraulic to electric, so they must have had some complains..

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
I heard that on 2013 OB, subaru went from hydraulic to electric, so they must have had some complains..
Believe that change was to reduce weight, strain on the engine and to slightly improve MPG. Had nothing to do with driver comfort.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
402 Posts
While I do not have a fold down arm rest for my 2012 OB, it certainly would be nice. What I did is I had the center console reupholstered to include about 3"-4" of dense foam, thus enabling me to use the console as an arm rest. This was done after a careless Ace Hardware employee loaded some pipe into the OB and ripped the OEM console cover. Cost about $60 through a local upholstery shop (Ace paid). Really glad I opted for the re upholster job rather than just buying a new factory console cover.

·
Registered
97 Outback 230000
1,138 Posts
Interesting you mention this. My best friend has bought a 2013 just recently and told me that she misses the armrest support of her 08 Prius when doing long trips. Probably not an issue for larger people but those of us who are smaller could use a solution. We are both 5'5".

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
This is almost an exclusive problem for short people and I find the arm rest just fine but my wife does complain about this issue so I would be interested in a folding arm rest.
My guess is the only way this will happen is to find a similar car that has one and see if it can be adapted. Not cheap since the seat will need disassembly to do this correctly and reupholstered to match whatever material you have on your seat.
Still I would do it if a solution is found...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I kind of agree on the height thing..I am about 5'7" and some of my taller friends haven't had much problems..
I tried searching on ebay/amazon thinking that someone somewhere must be selling a novel snap on kind of attachment, but there really isn't any.. I am surprised as it seems like a simple problem!!
I do wanna stay way from taking out the whole seat or doing any major work on it..
let me know if you guys have come across any such attachment?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The hard steering wheels (possibly due to being "hydraulic") on my 2012 OB is the ONLY thing that I don't like about this car..I heard that on 2013 OB, subaru went from hydraulic to electric, so they must have had some complains..
I haven't driven the 2013, but I like the feel of the 2012. The only cars I've driven with electronic power steering that I know of are Toyotas and I hate it. Perhaps it's just the way toyota tuned the power assist, but you loose all road feel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts