Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some cola spill on the cloth upholstery of my 2010 Outback. Spray some Folex on area that was affected, and now it turns out it might have made it worse.

What's the recommended next step?

--tj

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
What is Folex?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Our head detail guy at the dealer I worked at back in the college days - used a DAWN dish soap as his first step at cleaning a cloth seat or the carpets.

For seats - get the dawn foamed up really good - and simply put the foam on the seat the object of the game is to not get the seat super wet. In most cases light dirt and soda spills will get lifted out with some blotting of a clean rag and dawn soap foam. Then hit it with the shopvac.

I haven't a clue what Folex is sounds like something you might strip paint with.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover removes spots and stains

As far as I can tell it's just soap and water. You could have done much worse. Some products use bleach or Kerosene as their active ingredient. I have only seen one product be truly "no rinse" and it only works about 10% of the time.

Rinse your seat with water and you should be fine. So many people think that they need some "super cleaner" to get out stains. After 6 years in the cleaning business I can tell you plain old water is magic. If you do need more power to remove a stain use tiny amounts of a gentle soap (like Dawn is fine) then, rinse, rinse, rinse.

I'd recommend an upholstery tool for rinsing the Folex out, but if you really have to you could pour very small amounts of water and suck it up with a wet vac. To me it's like using a pliers to remove a bolt, I would only consider it if I has no other choice.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This thread caught my attention since I have the cloth seats, and now have two stains that I can't seem to get rid of. One was a muddy paw of my dog, and the second and worse stain was from a leaky container of Chinese food. I tried an auto upholstery cleaner which seemed to work until it dried. Any suggestions for an oily stain on the cloth seat?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Seat covers is probably a good thing for you to look into. LOL

Stains like that may take a couple of cleaning efforts over time to pull the oil out of the fabric - the oil will collect dirt so the stain will seem to get darker over time but each time you clean it - your getting more of the oil etc.

Since replacing the Sedan with the wagon - the dog never even comes close to setting foot in the seating area. The old legacy rear seat was leather but still suffered from the dog.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Stains like that may take a couple of cleaning efforts over time to pull the oil out of the fabric - the oil will collect dirt so the stain will seem to get darker over time but each time you clean it - your getting more of the oil etc.
Very true. My company is very good about getting oily stains out but it's all self made propitiatory solutions.

Again go light on the soap. Soap will leave a residue and collect dirt very fast making look like the stain is still there. Rinse, rinse, rinse.

We have a saying: "An inexperienced Tech with the best equipment in the world will never be able to get the results of an experienced Tech with the worst equipment." There is no substitute for training.

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
Our head detail guy at the dealer I worked at back in the college days - used a DAWN dish soap as his first step at cleaning a cloth seat or the carpets.

For seats - get the dawn foamed up really good - and simply put the foam on the seat the object of the game is to not get the seat super wet. In most cases light dirt and soda spills will get lifted out with some blotting of a clean rag and dawn soap foam. Then hit it with the shopvac.
Dito.

You can also use Purple Power concentrate (parts stores sell it, its a degreaser) and break it down 50-50 for heavy stains, scrub it with a stiff brush then vac. Lighter spills, 20-80. Don't be afraid to get it soaked. The detergent needs the water to work.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Dito.

You can also use Purple Power concentrate (parts stores sell it, its a degreaser) and break it down 50-50 for heavy stains, scrub it with a stiff brush then vac. Lighter spills, 20-80. Don't be afraid to get it soaked. The detergent needs the water to work.
Very high alkaline product (11.2+) might not harm in car synthetics but I would advise against this product for other upholstery.

Alkaline is the go to soap for removing tough stuff for sure. Keep it off the painted plastics as I have had experience with it removing the paint off the center console (wasn't me, a fellow employee got a little zelas in a Gen 3).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Did it leave a ring? My wife found that even using water in a carpet extraction tool also left a ring/dark spot where she stopped cleaning. (used just water!!)

You have to do the entire seat. That way there isn't a wet/dry line. Then when it drys is all even. Sounds stupid but try it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2011 front seats with the white/ivory cloth got wet when a rain shower came through with the sunroof open. Now the seat covers are three shades of water stain. Really disappointing, as I thought this fabric was supposed to be resistant to more than rain water. Nothing was spilled on the seats, so I do not understand why the discoloration.... Anyone else experience this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
PSW
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing