Subaru Outback Forums banner

Canadians who have had their CVT replaced?

8K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  lester W 
#1 ·
Wondering how many of our Canadian readers on this forum have needed to have new CVT transmissions?
I'm just curious as my Subie dealer here in Atlantic Canada tells me he has heard of zero being replaced!

He's either telling me porky pies or he's Honest John!

I have a 2013 Outback 2.5 that in November 2018 and again in Jan 2019 had a "kicking or jerking, bucking or whatever you want to call it, episode. The first time my dealer kept the car 2 full days and found nothing wrong. CVT checked out to be perfect! the second time it happened I took it back again and they agreed to do another free diagnosis, this time doing a re-learn of the CVT, some control module reset I think. So far so good, and it does drive smoother now!
Mileage is at 137,000km's now and this began at 134,000km's. (Extended warranty until 160,000km's.)

So how many Canadians here have had their CVT replaced?

#2 ·
#4 ·
Good to hear it seems to be working well again. Have you changed the Fluid at all? If you may have overheated the CVT by being a little aggressive at times, say in snow or mud it will break down the fluid. I do not not have an Outback but hoping to soon. I do not have much faith in OEM fluids and when I get my Outback I will be replacing all fluids from front to back with Amzoil products, just my preference.

#5 ·
when I get my Outback I will be replacing all fluids from front to back with Amzoil products, just my preference.
Agreed - all the fine metal dust that has passed the magnets in all the boxes need to be removed around 10km (oil is new that’s not the reason for this) - then as precautionary every 50km afterwards - it will give you the best fighting chance for the most longevity ... note only drain trans pan - I personally would never do full flush as I’ve seen the results of years in the business of this being done mostly around 96km it’s first factory recommended interval, with a bunch of manufacturers turn into monster problems

#6 ·
just a warning, the gen 4 at least, if you change the transmission with an import one, it seems the electronics of the japanese trans is not compatible with the electronics of the US build outback.
Had this problem with 2 different JDM transmissions and they both had some crazy torque steering in both directions.

#9 ·
Wondering how many of our Canadian readers on this forum have needed to have new CVT transmissions?
I'm just curious as my Subie dealer here in Atlantic Canada tells me he has heard of zero being replaced!

He's either telling me porky pies or he's Honest John!

I have a 2013 Outback 2.5 that in November 2018 and again in Jan 2019 had a "kicking or jerking, bucking or whatever you want to call it, episode. The first time my dealer kept the car 2 full days and found nothing wrong. CVT checked out to be perfect! the second time it happened I took it back again and they agreed to do another free diagnosis, this time doing a re-learn of the CVT, some control module reset I think. So far so good, and it does drive smoother now!
Mileage is at 137,000km's now and this began at 134,000km's. (Extended warranty until 160,000km's.)

So how many Canadians here have had their CVT replaced?
I have a 2017 that jerks or misses when accelerating from stop to cruising. Once at speed it is fine. This happens in automatic trans mode. If i use the manual mode buttons, it seems fine. Was yours like this??
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.