Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0 VDC
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to recharge the A/C but the pressure is too low, and the compressor clutch won't engage.
The internet says that I should pull the relay and jumper two pins to force it to engage, but the relay has two pairs of pins, Like so:
| |
_
_

Can someone tell me which two to jump?

Is there a better method?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
Use a fresh can of refrigerant and keep shaking it gently. It will pressurize the system enough to get the compressor to kick in and get the process rolling.
You are using a manifold, right? Not just one of those auto part store hookups?

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0 VDC
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a manifold, just an A/C Pro kit:
acprocold.com/product/18018-ac-pro-accu-cool-ac-system-recharge-kit

So, it is OK to feed refrigerant into the system even if the compressor isn't running?

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
Not a manifold, just an A/C Pro kit:
acprocold.com/product/18018-ac-pro-accu-cool-ac-system-recharge-kit

So, it is OK to feed refrigerant into the system even if the compressor isn't running?

Thanks for the reply!
Set the can in pan of warm water.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
Is this to prevent it from getting cold, and falling below a sufficient amount of pressure? Should I do this during the process, or just warm it up once beforehand?
I do it during when the can is chilled and it seems the pressure has equalized between can and the A/C system. It can help get the most out of the can.

·
Registered
2014 Impreza SP CVT
385 Posts
Certainly!

And with the compressor off, you can turn the can upside down to install the refrigerant as a liquid. There's no need to warm the container either.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0 VDC
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the replies!
Now I just need a day that's warm enough to give it another try...

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0 VDC
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We had unscheduled temperate weather on Friday, so I tried to fill the system. Nothing seemed to happen, and the needle on the gauge never moved.

So, I think I'm back to my original question- what's the best way to force the A/C compressor clutch to engage?

And with the compressor off, you can turn the can upside down to install the refrigerant as a liquid.
I forgot to try this- just did the prescribed 90 degree rotations. Would that have made the difference? Weather man says it'll be a few days before we hit 65 degrees again, so I can't try anything right now.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
By now you're using a manifold, right? Not one of those worthless one-point hookups?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Have you checked to confirm you are getting voltage at the clutch to engage it?

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0 VDC
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you checked to confirm you are getting voltage at the clutch to engage it?
I haven't- should I just pull the pair of wires that plug into the clutch, and test those?

Also, wouldn't I need to jumper/bypass the relay at the fuse box in order to get voltage on those wires?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I haven't- should I just pull the pair of wires that plug into the clutch, and test those?

Also, wouldn't I need to jumper/bypass the relay at the fuse box in order to get voltage on those wires?

Thanks again!
Pull the wires so you can connect your meter to them, turn the ignition switch to run and turn the A/C to on. You should get battery voltage at that point. I don't believe you should need to jumper the relay if it's good. If subarus work different someone jump in and let us know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts