Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a funny experience on the weekend, was cruising along the Boulevard near home heading towards one of those 2 lane roundabouts in a 70km/h zone when some dude in a new Ford Territiry comes zooming past doing about 20km/h over the limit (as I was already doing my usual 10 over hehe), anyway the round about approaches and speed limit drops to 60, he slows dramatically so I think "I'll have some fun and keep him honest..." knowing that the main reason he zoomed past was "beating" a competitor for his wonderful wagon.. I KNOW the Outback can take the roundabout easily so I guess I'm doing 60 still and he's trying to take it at 50km/h.. well get this, we zoom around it well below the capability of the Outback, and he understeers so HUGELY that he ends up half in my lane and I have to change course mid corner! Naturally I floored it as I exited to get away from the dangerous driver, adding further insult as he obviously tried to drag the Outback but failed miserably...

For those not in Australia the Territory is Ford Australia's big new crossover vehicle... more here

·
Registered
04 outback 3.0R
93 Posts
Yes the weight of these things was one of the biggest if not the reason why we didnt even bother test driving one,0 for road holding (due to the weight), -5 for fuel bills,0 for ease of parking.

Sorry ,Im a ford Man and like the look of them but the territory is not even in the same race.

A ford dealer salesman told me I'd be sorry for buying an
Outback 3.0R, going on about performance road holding of the territory then telling me how bad the outback was because he had previouly sold subaru cars several years ago. In the nineties.
HA HAAAA HAAAAA.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jimmbo said:

A ford dealer salesman told me I'd be sorry for buying an
Outback 3.0R, going on about performance road holding of the territory then telling me how bad the outback was because he had previouly sold subaru cars several years ago. In the nineties.
HA HAAAA HAAAAA.
I think he meant to say he was doing heavy drugs in the 90's LOL. I owned a mid 90's Ford Fairmont, worst handling car I've ever owned! Only car I've ever driven that fishtails in the dry just by flooring the throttle at 50MPH, it wasn't the huge power either, just bad design.

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
Here's how the Territory "copied" the Subaru wheels:

1. TX model steel wheels very similar to previous Forester
2. TX model alloy wheels very similar to previous Impreza RX (I had one so I know)
3. Ghia model wheels very similar to previous Outback (The one I own now)

Now how's that for trying to "copy" the LEADER ..........

I know this cause I work below a Ford Dealership......

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow I realy feel sorry for you poor Americans, although sad thing is it's probably much better than a lot of the SUV's already being sold there. :rolleyes:

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Feh. It's still a Mobile Blind Spot.

I saw one at the Detroit auto show last January. It's still boxy and ugly like a truck, just a little bit smaller than previous models.

It's as if the US market for trucks spawned various offshoots - some eventually became downsized (Lincoln Navigator spawns Lincoln Aviator) while others went to puffy pretension (Cadillac Escalade) and others went into the plainly bizarre, like the Chevrolet Tahoe morphing into the H2.

(Look up fuh2.com for a laugh)

:D

·
Registered
04 outback 3.0R
93 Posts
Re: Freestyle

enouen said:
Look Familiar

Why even change the name?
It looks similar but the territory was designed and built in australia,Theres rumors the turbo version will be out mid next year if not earlier,they will have to sort a few things out like brakes and suspension

·
Registered
1998 2.5L SOHC Subaru Legacy Outback
111 Posts
It kinda, sorta looks like what you would get if the ford escape and freestyle had a baby, heh crappy analogy, though I have heard that most of the cars we have here are in aussieland, just with bigger engines, and more power. this one guy that lived in australia put 600,000 miles (1 mil km) on his land cruiser, can you imagine what he had spent on gas by then?

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
Long term Subaru Owner - Current Daily Drive: 2007 Lexus RX350, and E46 BMW 328i
1,142 Posts
I had a Ford Territory for my rental today - drove about 4 hrs straight, mostly highway - good driving position and seats is one positive thing I can say. WAY better than the Explorer I had 2 weeks ago, and the Escape the week prior to that.

At one point I stopped when I received a call on my mobile and pulled off the road onto the wet grass/gravel verge, when I went to start the left wheels started spinning and the traction control light came on, and they kept spinning for about 2 or 3 seconds until I got back onto the tarmac. I was so stunned that I actually pulled over to check it was an AWD Territory not the base RWD model - It was AWD - so what happened??? NOT IMPRESSED..... and can only be thankful it was not snowy or icy.

I might add I have done exactly the same in my Subaru many times in probably even the same spot, and certainly in the same conditions, and it always took off without any fuss whatsoever.

I was glad to drop it back off to Hertz and get in my H6 to drive home! (as I inevitably always am, regardless of what they give me for the day).

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the mini review Ottie, very interesting that such a pathetic excuse for AWD can make "Car of the Year" here! Those things sure are selling like hotcakes though, I see a lot on the road now, at least they are way better than Holden's pathetic Adventra..

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
Long term Subaru Owner - Current Daily Drive: 2007 Lexus RX350, and E46 BMW 328i
1,142 Posts
Yes, there are plenty on the roads here - judging by what you see they must be outselling the Adventra by about 5:1 (or even more maybe I would guess) ...

I am coming over to Brisbane in a couple of weeks, so it will be interesting to watch what is on the roads - OB's, Territories and Adventras to see how the percentages differ from here.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brisbane hey? Cool! I barely ever see an Adventra, saw one last week and though Hmmm haven't seen one of those in AGES.. The Territory is everywhere, Ford must be very pleased with themselves. Nice time of year to be over here, clear skies and 23C days, 12C or so at night.

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Thanks Jondalar - I am jealous - have a look at the thread "Winter Driving Conditions - Kiwis get ready" and you will see what we are escaping from!

We have a few days in Brisbane at the German Shepherd National Show - then are off to the Hyatt Resort at Coolum, but just to complicate things have been offered an apartment in Maroochydore (not sure if thats how you spell it) for free which of course has it's attractions. Given this is your backdoorstep - which place would you reccommend us to go to? (2 adults and a 3 yr old boy for a week who want to soak up the warmth and just relax).

·
Registered
2000 OB Limited Sedan, 2.5L, 4EAT
783 Posts
Can't you get the 5.7 liter V8 in the Holden Adventra? That actually seems kind of fun. I saw a picture of one in an Australian car mag (Wheels?) drifting on a gravel road, looked pretty decent.

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
DOHC Outback said:
Can't you get the 5.7 liter V8 in the Holden Adventra? That actually seems kind of fun. I saw a picture of one in an Australian car mag (Wheels?) drifting on a gravel road, looked pretty decent.
Yip..... my boss has one of those - V8 - Black - Black Leather - Big Bore Exhaust ...... it is kinda fun, but I think I would get tired of the fuel bills (I thought my grand Cherokee was thirsty but this thing is worse).

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DOHC Outback said:
Yes that was the only motor available until recently, now there's a 4L V6 as well. I really don't like the Adventra, and nobody is buying them either. The V8 is only slighlty faster than the 3.0R and uses about twice as much fuel.. The AWD system used is also much more primitive.

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
For the non Aussies and Kiwis here - this is a Holden Adventra.... there is also a utility version now called a crewman.

Attachments

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Aussies might be interested in the figures just released for 2005 registrations/sales. The report I read states - and I quote:

."Compared to Ford which sold more that 23,000 Territory 4WD's in 2005, Holden recorded 3,153 Adventra sales in 2005. The vehicle continued to struggle despite the addition of a V6 last February."

What really tells the story is the news also went on to add that Holden have decided to axe the V8 variants completely now.......

Remember Holden released the Adventra as a V8 only with a $50k+ pricetag and was quickly forced to cut the price - then refund buyers following the release of Ford's Territory. What a marketing mess up. A text book example of how NOT to launch a car from GM Australia.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,195 Posts
Whoa. That's a pretty close resemblence to a certain popular car on this forum. Can you give a poor merican some further info and insight into the outbackish vehicle above?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts