Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Forester 2002 Station wagon - Parked. Engine OFF, No Contact: Rear Lights, front Parking Lights are ON. Tried several times: can't get rid of Lights. Tried also turning/moving ON-OFF steering-wheel switch for lights: no avail. Ss. Removed 20A fuse from Engine box.They are OFF. Installed back: They are ON. Did not try Pressing pedal brake (馃様) Think of: 1) Relay stuck (where?) 2. Brake SWITCH at pedal (Faulty, burned together, where?). WORST case: Car's CPU (Fading off is part of program IN CPU. Hope I'm wrong!馃が) Please; help. Too old to bend and do miracles, unless they are waist level!
Grateful to all! (TODAY in History! June,22, 2020)
DUST

Registered
Did not try Pressing pedal brake (馃様) Think of: 1) Relay stuck (where?) 2. Brake SWITCH at pedal (Faulty, burned together, where?). WORST case: Car's CPU (Fading off is part of program IN CPU. . . .
Doubt it's any of these, but to eliminate the brake light circuit, remove fuse #16 (20 Amps) in the cabin fuse panel. (See the cabin fuse panel layout in Section 12 of your Owners Manual.) As this fuse powers the brake lights, if the parking lights remain on when this fuse is out, the problem is not from the brake light circuit.

The 20 Amp fuse (#11 in the engine compartment fuse box) that turned off the parking lights when removed goes to the lights via two paths. One is the Parking Lights rocker switch on top of the steering column; the other is the Tail & Illumination Relay.

If the Tail & Illumination Relay were stuck in its "on" state, in addition to the external parking lights, the dashboard switches and controls that have lighting would be lit as well.

The dashboard controls are lit only when both the ignition switch and the headlight switch are turned on. If that works normally in your Forester, i.e., if the dashboard lights only come on when the ignition and headlight switch are On, then the relay is not causing the external parking lights to be on all the time.

That leaves the Parking Lights rocker switch as the next probable cause. These switches have some record of failures, although most of the cases that I recall are the opposite -- the external lights don't come on at any time.

It could be possible to verify the Parking Lights switch by measuring resistance from one of the two fuse #11 contacts in the fuse box to ground in both rocker switch positions. In one switch position the resistance should be low; in the other, very high (open circuit). If it's low in both positions the switch is faulty.

Some care is needed to identify the proper fuse contact to use in in the fuse box. If you have a digital multimeter that you can use for this test, let us know and further instructions can be provided.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Doubt it's any of these, but to eliminate the brake light circuit, remove fuse #16 (20 Amps) in the cabin fuse panel. (See the cabin fuse panel layout in Section 12 of your Owners Manual.) As this fuse powers the brake lights, if the parking lights remain on when this fuse is out, the problem is not from the brake light circuit.

The 20 Amp fuse (#11 in the engine compartment fuse box) that turned off the parking lights when removed goes to the lights via two paths. One is the Parking Lights rocker switch on top of the steering column; the other is the Tail & Illumination Relay.

If the Tail & Illumination Relay were stuck in its "on" state, in addition to the external parking lights, the dashboard switches and controls that have lighting would be lit as well.

The dashboard controls are lit only when both the ignition switch and the headlight switch are turned on. If that works normally in your Forester, i.e., if the dashboard lights only come on when the ignition and headlight switch are On, then the relay is not causing the external parking lights to be on all the time.

That leaves the Parking Lights rocker switch as the next probable cause. These switches have some record of failures, although most of the cases that I recall are the opposite -- the external lights don't come on at any time.

It could be possible to verify the Parking Lights switch by measuring resistance from one of the two fuse #11 contacts in the fuse box to ground in both rocker switch positions. In one switch position the resistance should be low; in the other, very high (open circuit). If it's low in both positions the switch is faulty.

Some care is needed to identify the proper fuse contact to use in in the fuse box. If you have a digital multimeter that you can use for this test, let us know and further instructions can be provided.
THANKS FOR THIS HELP!! After I wrote this request, I started looking for answers in Youtube (the "fruit of the tree of knowledge of Good and evil" was 'supposed' to be an Apple... I have a PC). Later on - about 1.5 hrs later - I read a commentary from someone WITH THE SAME PROBLEM! His finding:On top of the Dash board, there is - what he called - "the Subaru Virgin switch"- that TURNS ON parking lights, REGARDLESS. That was the problem!! Thank you so much for caring!! 馃が

1 - 3 of 3 Posts