Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'04 Outback, 2.5 H4, 4SPD Auto, Cold Wx PAckage, 01 Dakota QC 4WD, 14 Equinox LT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 98 Forester for my son. Had the HG issues with my 2.5 SOHC @ 109k. This Forester has 143k. Owner is contacting PO to determine if HG's have been done and if timing set was replaced at the same time. Does the 98 DOHC share the same HG weakness as the SOHC 2.5? Guy wants $800 for the car, so I have some $ to play with.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts
Looking at a 98 Forester for my son. Had the HG issues with my 2.5 SOHC @ 109k. This Forester has 143k. Owner is contacting PO to determine if HG's have been done and if timing set was replaced at the same time. Does the 98 DOHC share the same HG weakness as the SOHC 2.5? Guy wants $800 for the car, so I have some $ to play with.
EJ25D is worse, leaks internally coolant and oil.

goes from fixalbe to a useless lump of melted scrap aluminum in 3 weeks of mild overheats.

we have a whole thread about what to do with those turd EJ25D . (1998 is the only US year of them in the forester)
locating the right Ej22 is not easy sometimes. (read the whole thread...trick is the EJ25D has EGR, and many other subaru engines of the time did not).

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...248329-ej22-swap-into-ej25d-dohc-vehicle.html

·
Registered
'04 Outback, 2.5 H4, 4SPD Auto, Cold Wx PAckage, 01 Dakota QC 4WD, 14 Equinox LT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uh huh- That would be one "no" vote...

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
do a search on HGs and the ej25d, it's notorious for HG issues. particularly from introduction up thru early 2000s.

If you could get a low-miles unit from a wreck, you could rebuild it with mls gaskets and 'probably' have a reliable motor.

but if they have already overheated, lubrication was likely compromised and, a few weeks after a rebuild, you could develop rod knock in one of those engines.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,305 Posts
uh huh- That would be one "no" vote...
if you want to get your son a subaru, you should give him your 2004 H4.
(economical to operate, simple to fix,...and the dog with the fleas you know,...170hp/ 170torque is plenty fast enough to get a ticket)....

and you could get something else. like a H6 subaru 2001-2009 listed as needing head gaskets and you drop a JDM into it.
(and you keep that for you,...and put super gas in it, ...and enjoy the faster engine,...the one that is too tempting for young people with like a 3rd more torque then a typical H4). (edit: 168 vs. 212 or 219 in torque...maybe 1/4 more).

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Guy wants $800 for the car, so I have some $ to play with.
Paradoxically you have the possibility of buying the worst engine subaru ever made but turning it into a robust beast of inexpensive practicality and reliability.

Buy that forester and install an EJ22 following that write up I wrote.

$300 used EJ22 - sell your original EJ25 for $300 and your net costs are:
$0 engine + $500 install = $500.

this place has a $300 EJ22 in NC: 336-578-2100
There's a bunch more on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market, lean towards one that can (or was) tested, run, and lower mileage.

You've got one of the most practical, inexpensive Subaru platforms that can easily make 300,000 miles for $1,300. It's a steal of a deal if the car is in overall reasonable shape.

Does the 98 DOHC share the same HG weakness as the SOHC 2.5?
Worse. It is almost un-arguably the worst engine Subaru ever made. It's not bad or terrible - but it is the worst.

The OEM gaskets randomly overheat, turning on the heater doesn't allow you to limp home, and refilling the coolant doesn't help - and singular episodes can be spread out over months. so people tended (it was worse a long time ago before it was widely known) to limp them along, think they were fixed, but they weren't. so multiple, and significant, overheats were the norm.

that is bad mojo for the rod bearings which do fail sometime in the future due to prior oil degradation.

They can be reasonably good, but at this age, it's just hard to verify they've never been overheated ever.

Guy wants $800 for the car, so I have some $ to play with.
The only thing more scary than an EJ25D is a CHEAP EJ25D.
They're getting old enough now that it's variable, but in the past a cheap EJ25D was almost akin to a diagnosis, haha.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Owner is contacting PO to determine if HG's have been done and if timing set was replaced at the same time.
If I had to be stuck with an EJ25D - I would prefer one that's never been repaired or overheated and could be repaired on my clock with OEM turbo gaskets and resurfacing the heads, and even the block if logistically possible.

If it's never been overheated - you need to be prepared to shut the car down immediately at the first sign of running hot and repairing it immediately. They don't limp or wait for you to diagnosis, decide, spend money.

Here's why I wouldn't be comfortable with a repaired EJ25D. If the HG were done you also need to know if the heads were resurfaced and what brand headgaskets were used.

Most likely even if they were replaced, they may be aftermarket gaskets which don't have a great track record and many places don't resurface the heads, which is silly since they always have high and low spots and it's impossible for them to have the proper finish - which wasn't a big deal with old engines that never blew headgaskets - but these newer ones are clearly less forgiving as it seems you are aware.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
when the subaru 'fan boyz' tell you to avoid an engine - you should take heed!

:headg:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all, I think I'm gonna pass on this one. I might have found an H6 OB locally. If it plays through, Jr. gets my H4 with HG new(later OEM Subaru Gasket and full head rebuild) and new timing belt/pulleys, water pump etc. and I get an H6 project on which to tinker.

Thanks to all, Sadly, it is my opinion that the worst Subaru design is probably still more reliable than most of not all domestic designs, and I am a Mopar fanatic. Hmmm, Hellcat AWD V8 in a Forester?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,305 Posts
Thanks to all, I think I'm gonna pass on this one. I might have found an H6 OB locally. If it plays through, Jr. gets my H4 with HG new(later OEM Subaru Gasket and full head rebuild) and new timing belt/pulleys, water pump etc. and I get an H6 project on which to tinker.

Thanks to all, Sadly, it is my opinion that the worst Subaru design is probably still more reliable than most of not all domestic designs, and I am a Mopar fanatic. Hmmm, Hellcat AWD V8 in a Forester?
plenty of them hellcats land in the trees in the first month of ownership.
so probably lots of good parts cars just laying around to be had for $10,000.

Reactions: bheinen74
1 - 11 of 11 Posts