The Forester:
$29,995 + $795 = $30,790
4spd auto, 224 HP / 247 lb-ft torque, turbo, HID lights
8.9" clearance, 19 / 21 / 24 MPG on premium

The Outback:
$28,495 + $795 = $29,290
5spd auto, 256 HP / 247 ft-lbs torque, good headlights
8.7" clearance, 18 / 20 / 25 mpg on regular

We recently traded both our 2010 Outback 2.5i Limited and 2003 Honda Accord EX-L for a 2013 Acura RDX AWD. My wife's vehicle. I have a 2003 Tundra TRD 4.7L 4x4 and a 2004 Astro Cargo RWD, but I kind of miss having a little "run around" vehicle and I've grown fond of the Subaru brand.

I guess to further confuse things, there's the
Impreza WRX 5-door Limited
$29,295 + $770 = $30, 065
5spd manual, 265 HP / 244 ft-lbs torque, HID lights
6.1" clearance, 19 / 21 / 25 mpg on premium

No plans for rock-crawling or anything, but gravel / forest / mountain roads are likely. I guess I'm thinking sporty, fun-to-drive wagon / grocery getter.

I like the form-factor of the Outback. Haven't driven the Forester or Impreza. Primarily leaning toward fun-to-drive, since the 2.5l Outback was horribly gutless.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
The FXT will knock the doors off the OB in terms of fun-to-drive. The impreza will be even better.

The OB is a better choice if you're worried about cargo, kids in big car seats or towing.

If only they still made the Outback XT- then you wouldn't have to choose.

Mind you, the 3.6 is no slouch... but you get access to the power much sooner on the tach with the turbo 4 in the FXT or Impy, and they weigh less.

Given your list, I think the FXT would be the right match.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Since you have the RDX and the nice 4.7 hauling machine - stop kidding your self find a nice WRX sedan used in stock form and go shred some dirt roads.

I have the 4.7L sequoia - the 2010OB which is our primary every day hauling everyone around vehicle - then the wife has her old 2001 1.8T Jetta top model 5spd MT with 55,000 miles on it. When the VW gets too the point of costing us too much in repairs we have talked about either one of the new hard tops conv like the G37 or maybe just stop foolng around and find a super clean 911 turbo - both have a back seat for midgets.

If I was looking for a primarily me fun car the Forester would never even be a thought WRX sedan or wagon yes! But since the wife wants more status symbol type ride for the Napa wine trips a slightly used G37 hard top conv 6spd MT or a super nice 911 isn't out of the cards either

I'm secretly wishing I get a call from the wife that the VW just spit its entire guts all over the freeway and that we need to go and revisit our list of ideas for a replacement ;-)

I found a nice G35X mint super awesome clean car for my dad in July for $23,000 with 40,000 miles on it. Rosewood dash the whole 9yards. He loves it I got to drive it once nice car! Wifes dad is now asking me to help him find a Mercedes SLK 350 that was Sunday he has decided that the extra huge Suburban is over kill and a buzz kill on the retirement fun meter. So looking forward to that search and getting to drive one of those.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kind of worry that any used Impreza WRX I find will be beat to ****.

I'll keep my eye out for a used turbo Forester or Outback, although around here Subaru's are so popular it seems easier to just buy one new than find a deal on a used nice used one.

I drove a $500 1991 Subaru Legacy Wagon FWD for several years. No issues with clearance, but I wasn't particularly worried about being careful with it either. Even with brand-new tires, that thing was awful in the snow. 1-wheel-drive wonder.
--

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I kind of worry that any used Impreza WRX I find will be beat to ****.

I'll keep my eye out for a used turbo Forester or Outback, although around here Subaru's are so popular it seems easier to just buy one new than find a deal on a used nice used one.

I drove a $500 1991 Subaru Legacy Wagon FWD for several years. No issues with clearance, but I wasn't particularly worried about being careful with it either. Even with brand-new tires, that thing was awful in the snow. 1-wheel-drive wonder.
--
Having been the used car hunter for two cars this summer this one is worth looking into
2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI w/factory BBS

Original owner all dealer records - go BS with the owner see if the story matches what you see - far FAR FAR better than going to the dealer if it all checks out.

A forester or OB as a personal fun car is like saying you want your fun play car to be the family beater too. Dude your like me you have the right cars for the right use - get the right FUN CAR ha ha

Better yet
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/3295005120.html

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of the reviews I've read said the STI isn't necessarily as much fun as the regular WRX in everyday driving. I get the impression you have to really work to get the STI version to perform.

I've had several vehicles over the years with manual transmissions, and while I don't have a problem with a manual I think with all things being equal I'd rather have an automatic.

That doesn't disqualify the WRX.
--

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A forester or OB as a personal fun car is like saying you want your fun play car to be the family beater too. Dude your like me you have the right cars for the right use - get the right FUN CAR ha ha
My 2003 Tundra TRD is about 250HP / 315 lb-ft torque. It's a 4spd auto and honestly, acceleration seems fine around town.

I bet the turbo Forester would feel plenty zippy, but I haven't ruled out the WRX.

I don't know if it varies from vehicle-to-vehicle, but I've heard we lose something like 25% power at this altitude (~6000' and up) so I'm leaning strongly toward something with a turbo.
--

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
My 2003 Tundra TRD is about 250HP / 315 lb-ft torque. It's a 4spd auto and honestly, acceleration seems fine around town.

I bet the turbo Forester would feel plenty zippy, but I haven't ruled out the WRX.

I don't know if it varies from vehicle-to-vehicle, but I've heard we lose something like 25% power at this altitude (~6000' and up) so I'm leaning strongly toward something with a turbo.
--
I recall the 4.7 in 05 or 06 was bumped up to 302 or something like that then de rated the following year I can't recall what year they did that. I remember my 07 being 290 or 300 can't remember for sure. 5spd AT is pretty nice and smooth no complaints - strait line run the V8 is quick in the stop light sprints around town but the little turbo cars like the WRX or even the box on an impreza forester turbo will be faster and actually make a turn at the end of the strait run.

Never really saw the purpose in the forester other than to create a boxy wagon to compete with the CRV based Civic

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never really saw the purpose in the forester other than to create a boxy wagon to compete with the CRV based Civic
Cargo space:
The WRX is listed as 19 cubic ft / 44.4 cubic feet.
The Forester XT is listed as 30.8 cubic ft / 63 cubic feet.

The Forester XT also has about 2.6" more ground clearance than the WRX.

0-60 times are all over the place, so I really have no idea how they compare.

I haven't driven either, but I did stop and look at a Forester XT and a WRX STI today. I couldn't find a "regular" WRX, but I assume they're cosmetically pretty similar to the STI.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
STI and WRX are the same though STI probably has special seats vs the standard WRX etc.

If you have the 4.7L pickup I don't see much difference between 19cubic inches of trunk space and 30.8 also make sure that those numbers are cubic space under the privacy cover I found subaru plays games with the numbers and recall the Forester number was the total space roof line to floor pan - not usable space under the privacy cover.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found out tonight my wife was thinking more like $5K, rather than ~$30K for my "toy" car.

I've got an appointment on Friday to get a SNUGTop Hi-liner installed on the Tundra. The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to let the 2004 Astro Cargo RWD with it's 170 cubic feet of cargo room go once I have the topper on the truck. I bought the van in 2010 for my hobby and while it's absolutely PERFECT for it's intended purpose, the truth is I've only put ~7K miles on it in ~2.5yrs. I could just as easily use the Tundra in its stead, or get a little box trailer.

I suspect my budget would increase substantially once the Astro Cargo is out of the driveway.

I guess the Subaru cargo capacity isn't really that big a deal.

I do like the additional ground clearance of the Forester. I'm a huge fan of taking the "road less traveled" and if we're just out driving-around I'm frequently inclined to "see where this road goes". If I was PLANNING on driving a rough road, I'd take the truck, but sometimes a drive in the country turns into exploring and my wife has already made it clear that she doesn't like taking her 2013 RDX AWD off pavement.

I sure haven't ruled out the WRX, but a used Forester turbo is seeming much more likely at this point.
--

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm not sure if you've seen the news but the 2014 Subaru Forester remodel is around the corner. I have a 2012 Subaru Forester and personally I would suggest you take a look at the 2014 remodel if you're interested in the Subaru Forester for your stated reasons. Of course, budget always comes to mind and the fact that it'll be a first year vehicle I'm sure reliability will be called in to question again.

What would your budget look like once the van is out of the way?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What would your budget look like once the van is out of the way?
After comparing to a 2007 Honda Fit Sport, she immediately increased my Subaru budget to $10k even without sacrificing the van.

I found a few ~2005 Forester XT's at that price, and one 2005 WRX hatchback.
--

·
Registered
320 Posts
After comparing to a 2007 Honda Fit Sport, she immediately increased my Subaru budget to $10k even without sacrificing the van.

I found a few ~2005 Forester XT's at that price, and one 2005 WRX hatchback.
--
Just remember before MY2007, the Subaru Foresters weren't equipped with VDC so side to side power transfer is not possible (in layman terms I guess).

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Too many issues with the Outback XT, so still looking.

I'm starting to wonder if there's just too much risk buying a used turbo?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Too many issues with the Outback XT, so still looking.

I'm starting to wonder if there's just too much risk buying a used turbo?
LOL for a 10K budget? All depends on how much "Toy" the car is. I know friends who consider a "Toy" car only when it involves wrenching on it at least once a week for fun. Which case a 10K turbo car beat to **** might be a really good "Toy" car. LOL

For 10K a non turbo 2.5 mint condition all records 100% clean 07 impreza 5spd MT comes to mind if you look you can find some really really clean well cared for one's in that price range.

If you want a fast toy car for 10K make sure your socket set is organized and your not missing that 12mm socket ;-)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL for a 10K budget?
Sorry, yeah, I realized that pretty quickly and the budget increased to $15K.

I found a 2006 Outback XT for $13K. After having it examined and pointing out the issues, they dropped it to $11,500, but one common theme I keep reading is that maintenance is key for the turbo models and with so many little issues I get the impression this one wasn't maintained very well.

I've seen some other 2005-2006 Outback XT's around $15K that seem pretty nice, but I'm just kind of leery now.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
07 impreza 5spd MT comes to mind if you look you can find some really really clean well cared for one's
It's not set in stone, but I think I was going to spend more than $15K, I'd look at something new and maybe extend the financing. Base WRX sticker is $26,565 -vs 148hp Base Impreza 2.0i is $19,165.

I took the 2006 Outback XT on a short test-drive yesterday -- up a couple hills, a few miles of Interstate, etc. Then a little longer drive through town to show it to my wife. Took it today over lunch to have the mechanic check it out. More hills, some stop-and-go, and some Interstate.

I really do like that turbo. My wife's 2013 Acura RDX has more HP, more torque, is faster 0-60 and faster in the 1/4 mile, but somehow just isn't as FUN nor feels as "zippy" as that turbo.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts